The Australian National Football Team General Discussion*OFFICIAL*

The Australian National Football Team General Discussion*OFFICIAL*

Author
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Bunch of Hacks - 10 Mar 2020 5:22 AM
paladisious - 10 Mar 2020 2:37 AM

This^ . So long as he is not injured Mooy will always at least be picked on our bench at minimum even if he wasn't playing any minutes. Viduka and Kewell were the same. Sainsbury was still picked for years despite not playing at club level has has been consistently excellent (starting to decline a bit lately though)

yeah but we are not talking kewell vs a some random ccm player. there is no kewell or cahill in the squad.  the only players remotely close to that kind of talent - ryan and mooy- have no question marks over them.

all other players are completely replaceable and there are other options available that are playing.

Edited
4 Years Ago by inala brah
Balin Trev
Balin Trev
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

inala brah - 10 Mar 2020 11:30 AM

yeah but we are not talking kewell vs a some random ccm player. there is no kewell or cahill in the squad.  the only players remotely close to that kind of talent - ryan and mooy- have no question marks over them.

all other players are completely replaceable and there are other options available that are playing.

(Even though WCQ’s postponed, just for shits and giggles 😉) which players would u leave out and who would u replace them with brah?
jas88
jas88
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

inala brah - 9 Mar 2020 10:45 AM
New Signing - 24 Feb 2020 1:26 PM

there's a few names getting thrown around that can't even make the cut at their clubs. they should not be in the NT squads. smith and arzani are the obvious names in this. rogic and leckie need to have some serious questions asked about them. there are more.

we can't be making these soft concessions to the NT. again and again it just kills us. giving free passes to players making shitty club choices or not playing at their club. you watch. leave them out of the NT. they will make some pretty fucking quick club choices. 

there are more deserving options.

Smith I think deserves some leniency... he won the fucking league for gods sake?? Cahill never did, even though he had fucking Henry next to him...? Yes a mid season move to a club in the champs was always going to be difficult to get a chance when they are on the brink of playoff spots..Joe Bennett aint half bad either..

I think Behich is a great player, but Brad gives us a different option and is made for the way we play..

"we can't be making these soft concessions to the NT" - then I expect Jackson to be dropped... cant even get arun and hes the captain!!!! worst run they have had in 40 years... 11 losses in a row...

Bunch of Hacks
Bunch of Hacks
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

realistically would would you replace sains with if he wasnt getting gametime??
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Bunch of Hacks - 10 Mar 2020 7:16 PM

realistically would would you replace sains with if he wasnt getting gametime??

EFL young player of the month, perhaps?
Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

paladisious - 10 Mar 2020 8:38 PM
Bunch of Hacks - 10 Mar 2020 7:16 PM

EFL young player of the month, perhaps?

well, sainsbury has been playing. but there are very good options that are also playing regularly.

good, mrcela, delbridge, wilkinson

sainsbury has not been offering a big step up in quality for a while either way. hopefully that has improved since going to israel.

also mathew jurman is a great centreback - what has his form been like at wsw?

Edited
chondro
chondro
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

I think we are trying move on from 35y.o cbs.
wilkinson, Williams, spiranovic, jurman, mrcela etc and any around 30+y.o currently aren’t going to get chosen with the WC in mind in 23’ imo.

This year
Sainsbury 28
Wright 28
Dellbridge 28
Good 27
Degenek 25
Susnajr 25
Deng 23
Souttar 22

beyond this...
youth
Mourdokoutas 21
Ryan 20
Courtney-Perkins 18

add another 3 years until WC and most in prime, late 20s, early 30s in 23’
Balin Trev
Balin Trev
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

chondro - 11 Mar 2020 1:14 PM
wilkinson, Williams, spiranovic, jurman, mrcela etc and any around 30+y.o currently aren’t going to get chosen with the WC in mind in 23’ imo.

This year
Sainsbury 28
Wright 28
Dellbridge 28
Good 27
Degenek 25
Susnajr 25
Deng 23
Souttar 22

beyond this...
youth
Mourdokoutas 21
Ryan 20
Courtney-Perkins 18

2022 next WCUP- but see your point still 😉
chondro
chondro
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

My bad, yes 22’
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Bs2rP1877M

Interesting insight from the camera angles of our game in Honduras. Honduras didn't offer much that game but to think how composed Jurman and Risdon were is a credit to their professionalism. Wright also had a good game after being under a lot of scrutiny from the previous rounds. They didn't show the Juric divot.
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/video/269824067880/two-weeks-in-june

Thankfully this works on my phone but is it jut me who sees the play button constantly spinning in circles bottom left in all browsers? I recall having the exact same issue when signing up months back. Annoying.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

johnszasz - 22 Mar 2020 6:05 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Bs2rP1877M

Interesting insight from the camera angles of our game in Honduras. Honduras didn't offer much that game but to think how composed Jurman and Risdon were is a credit to their professionalism. Wright also had a good game after being under a lot of scrutiny from the previous rounds. They didn't show the Juric divot.

Thanks for posting. MLS with more in depth Socceroos content than FFA.
Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend

chondro - 11 Mar 2020 1:14 PM

This year
Sainsbury 28
Wright 28
Dellbridge 28
Good 27
Degenek 25
Susnajr 25
Deng 23
Souttar 22

beyond this...
youth
Mourdokoutas 21
Ryan 20
Courtney-Perkins 18

i agree this is a really important point.  but i think there is space for some elder leadership in the squad, particularly in defence to help the team build cohesion. but this is not necessary if there is good leadership already there.  also 32 33 is still peak for a lot of players. 

mrcela will only be 31 for qatar. if he is showing form. he should be in the mix. 

at the moment i would be looking at (with qatar age)
30 sainsbury (he is actually playing again, but this is dependent upon form)
31 mrcela
29 good
23 souttar
30 delbridge
27 degenek
34 griffiths??? his form has been sensational but might be on the older side. 

really this will change. form will change after this break.  everyone will need a good look over when they return to regular games.

shame rostyn griffiths is 32 atm. he is probably the best australian CB at the moment. 

Edited
jas88
jas88
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

griffiths over Wright? you said experienced leaders? the guy has captained two championship clubs? lol I dont expect him to start every game but if you need exp he is your man... prob trains the house down too...
Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend

jas88 - 24 Mar 2020 11:02 AM
griffiths over Wright? you said experienced leaders? the guy has captained two championship clubs? lol I dont expect him to start every game but if you need exp he is your man... prob trains the house down too...

based on what form?  do you watch his club games? because his NT form has been dogshit.

griffiths has been one of the best players in the a league.

paladisious
paladisious
Legend

Japanese PM Abe to propose a one-year postponement to the IOC.
Glh37
Glh37
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

paladisious - 24 Mar 2020 11:24 PM
Japanese PM Abe to propose a one-year postponement to the IOC.

Common sense would be to make the 2021 football tournament an under 24 competition, with the 3 over agers.

That way the same players who would have competed this year get to compete next year.
jas88
jas88
World Class

inala brah - 24 Mar 2020 6:03 PM
jas88 - 24 Mar 2020 11:02 AM

based on what form?  do you watch his club games? because his NT form has been dogshit.

griffiths has been one of the best players in the a league.

hes not a ball playing CB needs someone good on the ball next to him.. maybe they could be a pair?

I would prefer those two over Sains.. at least these two took their careers seriously.. all sains has been doing the last 2 years is working on his social media following.
Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend

jas88 - 26 Mar 2020 12:19 PM
inala brah - 24 Mar 2020 6:03 PM

hes not a ball playing CB needs someone good on the ball next to him.. maybe they could be a pair?

I would prefer those two over Sains.. at least these two took their careers seriously.. all sains has been doing the last 2 years is working on his social media following.

i would like to see how good and mrcela line up together. or good and degenek.

thekingmb
thekingmb
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

inala brah - 26 Mar 2020 7:39 PM
jas88 - 26 Mar 2020 12:19 PM

i would like to see how good and mrcela line up together. or good and degenek.

Mrcela is by far the best Aussie CB in the A-League i rekon. Because he is in Perth he doesn't get as much recognition of east i think.
Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

thekingmb - 26 Mar 2020 7:49 PM
inala brah - 26 Mar 2020 7:39 PM

Mrcela is by far the best Aussie CB in the A-League i rekon. Because he is in Perth he doesn't get as much recognition of east i think.

Perth and Brisbane both have 7 clean sheets this year. Certainly I'd take Young over Reddy (though he has done a lot better this year), which suggests that the Perth backline are performing well above average and Mrcela seems to be pretty constant in it.
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

7 years ago today we had that shocking first half vs Oman only to end it 2:2
ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Tonight at 10:00pm on Fox 505 is November 16, a doco about the Uruguay game.  

I've noticed that 505 is showing random A League, W League & Socceroos games at night now. 

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

ErogenousZone - 27 Mar 2020 7:27 AM
Tonight at 10:00pm on Fox 505 is November 16, a doco about the Uruguay game.  

I've noticed that 505 is showing random A League, W League & Socceroos games at night now. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95pHwgw0U5c

Brilliant and can highly recommend.
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Was really looking forward to this window. Kuwait are going to be tough. I think they'll continue training hard while our players are still on a bit of a break.

I was especially looking forward to seeing how Iran would handle their difficulties while South Korea should be OK but one slip could see that group become very tight. 
patjennings
patjennings
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

johnszasz - 27 Mar 2020 8:49 AM
ErogenousZone - 27 Mar 2020 7:27 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95pHwgw0U5c

Brilliant and can highly recommend.

36. mins in - Talking to Alen Stajcic about the Uruguayan??? next to him - only to discover it is Prospero Bresciano - priceless!!   
ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Speaking of the Socceroos.  Full replay of THE Uruguay game tonight. 

I admit, I cried & hugged strangers.   :laugh: 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

🇦🇪 UAE part ways with their head coach, Ivan Jovanović!

UAE in a fair bit of trouble. Such a shame this very exciting stage if Asian qualification has stopped. Some very tasty affairs in many groups. 
ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro

johnszasz - 7 Apr 2020 2:38 AM
🇦🇪 UAE part ways with their head coach, Ivan Jovanović!

UAE in a fair bit of trouble. Such a shame this very exciting stage if Asian qualification has stopped. Some very tasty affairs in many groups. 

Yep, fuck this virus.   So disruptive to the WCQ qualification for so many countries.  
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

The ultimate Australian football round table. What do you want to hear about from our Socceroos legends?

Aloisi. Grella. Moore. Schwarzer. Skoko. VIDUKA.

Watch State of Football LIVE Sunday at 7pm only on Optus Sport 👉 https://www.facebook.com/optussport/live/
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search