The Australian National Football Team General Discussion*OFFICIAL*

The Australian National Football Team General Discussion*OFFICIAL*

Author
jas88
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
johnszasz - 13 Jun 2020 7:25 PM
I can see Davidson re-entering the Roos frame if he keeps it up. Behich is part of the leadership group but must move in summer.

Nah we tried the Davidson experiment... hes great going forward but a liability defensively... with Smith he can at least get back to do some defensive work with his speed...

Also Clichy is 34 and his contract expires in like 3 weeks... so behich wont have a problem with getting gametime next season.
Edited
4 Years Ago by jas88
patjennings
patjennings
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

jas88 - 1 Jul 2020 6:05 PM

Nah we tried the Davidson experiment... hes great going forward but a liability defensively... with Smith he can at least get back to do some defensive work with his speed...

Also Clichy is 34 and his contract expires in like 3 weeks... so behich wont have a problem with getting gametime next season.

Davidson works in a 3-4-3 - but not with a back 4.
Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Nah we tried the Davidson experiment... hes great going forward but a liability defensively...

that was 5 years and 2 managers ago

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

I'll admit I read Clisby and not Clichy. Very curious where Behich will end up. I'll say it, Hannover have released all fullbacks and 85% of their squad. Spots available in Bundesliga 2. Behich would be a very handy signing.
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rO3bhKg2hE

Interesting channel I came across.

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

https://youtu.be/4tQpg8SGUAk

What a fascinating perspective view of our game against Peru. If Ghana is the game we should've won, this is the one we could've won. After the 1:0, which was offside, we entered the box 3 times and couldn't finish. Peru were very exposed every time the opponent got past their two centre mids during the tournament.

Unfortunately BVM stuffed the selections. I'm sure with Luongo and Cahill we'd have gotten at least one goal. Jedinak was exhausted and I'm sure Luongo would've closed down the run for the 2:0. All hindsight but it's still a bitter one to watch. Admittedly Peru also hit the post and had a fair bit in the tank. Perhaps on another day. 
Aljay
Aljay
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

So it’s the middle of the work week and you decide to post an hour long tactical analysis of an Australian WC game? Thanks 😡 now I’ll get nothing done.

I turned this off after the second goal and didn’t watch another game for almost 12 months. Didn’t watch any of the Asian Cup. Still haven’t seen the end of this game.

Edit: the French match is there too, but I can’t see the Denmark game? This camera view is amazing.

Edited
4 Years Ago by Aljay
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

https://youtu.be/5IgNBdWwsmc

Australia vs Uruguay in full on radio. Football radio is something else. Makes me incredibly anxious. What a night that was on the airwaves. Imagine all the cabbies and others tuning in and having to listen to the joy and at times pure torture of suspense. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

8 weeks until we're supposed to be playing. There are so many flight and immigration limitations. Charter and visa exemptions? Just can't see it happening. 
highkick05
highkick05
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Maybe there could be an 'NBA bubble' type arrangement. Fly everyone to meet half way on some island. 2 weeks of isolation, doctors give the players the clear and go ahead.

Won't be a problem with crowds since we're used to seeing none anyway :D

Bowden
Bowden
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Keen to see which Euro-based players are called up to our Oct/Nov camp.
Bowden
Bowden
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Usually camps would include 3 or 4 GKs, but I don’t think we actually have any Euro-based GKs outside of Maty and Vuka?

I can’t see us calling up the kids in the various English team academies who are yet to play a game of senior football. But I could be wrong. 
chondro
chondro
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

Ryan, Vukovic, Redmayne

very easy decision atm in that position.

Bowden
Bowden
Legend

chondro - 19 Aug 2020 6:11 PM
Ryan, Vukovic, Redmayne

very easy decision atm in that position.

Redmayne is based in Australia. 
patjennings
patjennings
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

Bowden - 19 Aug 2020 5:43 PM
Usually camps would include 3 or 4 GKs, but I don’t think we actually have any Euro-based GKs outside of Maty and Vuka?

I can’t see us calling up the kids in the various English team academies who are yet to play a game of senior football. But I could be wrong. 

Maybe Lawrence Thomas? Depends if he can get game time
sportaddict
sportaddict
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Jordan Holmes, Ashley Maynard Brewer, Jack Duncan could all get called up potentially. 
Personally, I’d like to see some of the Young Socceroos and Olyroos based in Europe called up, the likes of Teague, Botic and Watts, even perhaps Alexander Robertson, just to give them an experience in camp. 

Bowden
Bowden
Legend

patjennings - 19 Aug 2020 6:41 PM

Maybe Lawrence Thomas? Depends if he can get game time

Oh yeah for sure! I totally forgot about Thomas. Great shout as he was in the squad for the Korea friendly last year so is definitely on the radar. 
New Signing
New Signing
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

IMO 3rd keeper should always be a youngster based in the area we are playing so we can get a look at each of them and keep them in the loop. I also believe it helps bring attention to them when they have been named in a squad
sub007
sub007
World Class
World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)

Bowden - 19 Aug 2020 9:51 PM
patjennings - 19 Aug 2020 6:41 PM

Oh yeah for sure! I totally forgot about Thomas. Great shout as he was in the squad for the Korea friendly last year so is definitely on the radar. 

From memory Izzo was going to be called up for that squad but missed out due to injury.
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Could set up some interesting camps and get-togethers with our stocks.

EuroRoos

Ryan, Vukovic, Thomas

Cleur, Sainsbury, Souttar, Degenek, Susnjar, Wright, Ryan, Behich, Gersbach, Elder, Smith, Iredale

Irvine, Luongo, Rogic, Mooy, Jeggo, Hrustic, Amini, Lyden, Dougall, Duncan, Holland, Kalik

Boyle, Leckie, Mabil, Borrello, Arzani, Giannou, Ruka, Folami, Italiano, Bouman, Iredale, Juric, Botic

Karacic and Dykes if they're into it

AsiaRoos

Langerak, Duncan

Geria, Deng, Davidson, Herd, Chapman, Lowry, Ansell

O'Neill, Goodwin, Duke, Petratos, Antonis

Taggart, Waring

A LeagueRoos

Redmayne, Glover, Izzo, Federici

Grant, Risdon, Mourdoukoutas, Dellbridge O'Toole, Rowles, Atkinson, Trewin

McGree, Ikon, Genreau, O'Neill, Baccus, Metcalfe

Maclaren, Toure, D'Agostino, Piscopo, Buhagiar, Najjarine
jasongenova
jasongenova
Hacker
Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)

johnszasz - 20 Aug 2020 9:09 PM

EuroRoos

Ryan, Vukovic, Thomas

Cleur, Sainsbury, Souttar, Degenek, Susnjar, Wright, Ryan, Behich, Gersbach, Elder, Smith, Iredale

Irvine, Luongo, Rogic, Mooy, Jeggo, Hrustic, Amini, Lyden, Dougall, Duncan, Holland, Kalik

Boyle, Leckie, Mabil, Borrello, Arzani, Giannou, Ruka, Folami, Italiano, Bouman, Iredale, Juric, Botic

AsiaRoos

Langerak, Duncan

Taggart, Waring

A LeagueRoos

Isnt Susjnar playing in Korea? Also Chris Herd is playing in bangladesh if Im not mistaken, hardly worthy of a call up. 

But I agree, there should be some sort of Asian and european camp/s
sportaddict
sportaddict
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

EuroRoos

Ryan, Vukovic, Thomas

Cleur, Sainsbury, Souttar, Degenek, Susnjar, Wright, Ryan, Behich, Gersbach, Elder, Smith, Iredale

AsiaRoos

Langerak, Duncan

Taggart, Waring

A LeagueRoos

Add in Teague, Deni Juric, Watts, Francois, Robertson, Charlie Miller to the EuroRoos. 

Get rid of Trewin (why would one include him??), Buhagiar, Rowles from Aussie based. Add Brook, Ruiz-Diaz, Burgess (definitely), Courtney-Perkins, D’Arrigo, James, Koutroumbis, Devlin (definitely). 

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

sportaddict - 20 Aug 2020 9:45 PM

Add in Teague, Deni Juric, Watts, Francois, Robertson, Charlie Miller to the EuroRoos. 

Get rid of Trewin (why would one include him??), Buhagiar, Rowles from Aussie based. Add Brook, Ruiz-Diaz, Burgess (definitely), Courtney-Perkins, D’Arrigo, James, Koutroumbis, Devlin (definitely). 

Got a bit mixed up with the number of names. I meant to add the other A league based players. 

Trewin has played enough at U20 level where he should make the Olyroos in future due to the age cap. 
sportaddict
sportaddict
Pro

johnszasz - 20 Aug 2020 10:23 PM
sportaddict - 20 Aug 2020 9:45 PM

Got a bit mixed up with the number of names. I meant to add the other A league based players. 

Trewin has played enough at U20 level where he should make the Olyroos in future due to the age cap. 

At the Roar Trewin is the 5th/6th choice centre back, behind Courtney Perkins who is 18 months younger. Trewin maybe has a future as a 6, but Gomulka, D’Arrigo, Devlin, Teague, Baccus and evening maybe Barnett are all in front of him in terms of the Olyroos and D’Arrigo, Teague and Gomulka are in front of him for the Young Socceroos. 
I personally rate him but the depth for those positions is quite high. 

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

sportaddict - 20 Aug 2020 11:14 PM
johnszasz - 20 Aug 2020 10:23 PM

At the Roar Trewin is the 5th/6th choice centre back, behind Courtney Perkins who is 18 months younger. Trewin maybe has a future as a 6, but Gomulka, D’Arrigo, Devlin, Teague, Baccus and evening maybe Barnett are all in front of him in terms of the Olyroos and D’Arrigo, Teague and Gomulka are in front of him for the Young Socceroos. 
I personally rate him but the depth for those positions is quite high. 

Promising list and hopefully we'll have a better ratio of those making the grade.
chondro
chondro
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

Current depth?
who have I missed?

Ryan
Grant - Sainsbury - Degenek - Smith
Irvine - Mooy
Leckie - Rogic - Boyle
Maclaren

Vukovic
Deng - Souttar - Good - Behich
Jeggo - Oneill 
Mabil - Mcgree - Ikonomidis
Taggart

Redmayne
Risdon - Dellbridge - Susnajr - Elder
Amini - Luongo
Arzani - Hrustic - Goodwin
Duke

Thomas
Atkinson - McGowan - Jurman - Gersbach
Dougall - Antonis
Kruse - Burgess - Piscopo
Rukavytsa

Could keep going...
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

chondro - 26 Aug 2020 12:11 AM
Current depth?
who have I missed?

Ryan
Grant - Sainsbury - Degenek - Smith
Irvine - Mooy
Leckie - Rogic - Boyle
Maclaren

Vukovic
Jeggo - Oneill 
Taggart

Redmayne
Risdon - Dellbridge - Susnajr - Elder
Amini - Luongo
Arzani - Hrustic - Goodwin
Duke

Thomas
Atkinson - McGowan - Jurman - Gersbach
Dougall - Antonis
Kruse - Burgess - Piscopo
Rukavytsa

Could keep going...

I always miss one or two when doing depth. Definitely add Langerak, Davidson, Borrello, Giannou, Petratos and Toure among others. Such a long list and it's global. I still think Giannou is a wildcard who we haven't seen enough of. Solid Asian Cup and the form of Taggart and Maclaren plus our system has kept him at bay. Davidson has made good strides in South Korea.

So so unfortunate Ikon got hurt. Asian Cup was a blessing in disguise to see Leckie miss the group stage. I'm just realizing now that Mooy was out too. The team is stronger now than then I think. Milligan, Kruse and Nabbout have thankfully made way for the improved Degenek, Mabil and Taggart.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

chondro - 26 Aug 2020 12:11 AM
Vukovic
Jeggo - Oneill 
Taggart

Not to nitpick, but Deng is no RB. Definitely one of my top 4 Aussie CBs right now though.
chondro
chondro
Pro

Yeah, he would be the 7th defender as cb/Rb
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

I'd have Karacic (playing Europa League qualifiers as I type) and Risdon (who has had a very good season at WU) as my first two RB choices.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search