The Australian Politics thread: Prime Minister Anthony Albanese

The Australian Politics thread: Prime Minister Anthony Albanese

Author
mcjules
World Class
World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)

Group: Moderators
paulbagzFC - 10 Nov 2020 12:23 PM
patjennings - 10 Nov 2020 11:09 AM

I was watching it with my wife and some other female friends who were visiting our place last night and they didn't think it was underwhelming at all.

-PB

Yeah it's difficult for some to have that perspective here.

Insert Gertjan Verbeek gifs here

patjennings
patjennings
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
patjennings - 10 Nov 2020 11:09 AM

I was watching it with my wife and some other female friends who were visiting our place last night and they didn't think it was underwhelming at all.

-PB

I'm not belittling what has happened for years in Canberra. Journalists are also involved. I'm just saying that this government has rorted BILLIONS OF DOLLARS that seems to be ignored by the media. The way it was advertised I was expecting an expose in that area - especially with the Federal ICAC being controlled by Porter. Of course, maybe he was being influenced to make it toothless because of what we learnt yesterday.  Now that it is out in the open maybe he will free to put up a real Federal ICAC.
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

↑ I agree.  Gladys can rort a quarter of a billion dollars and shred and delete the evidence and here we are talking about 2 blokes boofing their staff.

Ridiculous.

Member since 2008.

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

patjennings - 10 Nov 2020 1:21 PM

I'm not belittling what has happened for years in Canberra. Journalists are also involved. I'm just saying that this government has rorted BILLIONS OF DOLLARS that seems to be ignored by the media. The way it was advertised I was expecting an expose in that area - especially with the Federal ICAC being controlled by Porter. Of course, maybe he was being influenced to make it toothless because of what we learnt yesterday.  Now that it is out in the open maybe he will free to put up a real Federal ICAC.

Yup agreed.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

paulbagzFC - 10 Nov 2020 4:56 PM
patjennings - 10 Nov 2020 1:21 PM

Yup agreed.

-PB

Well considering noone in the nsw press have kept the pressure on Gladys besides sky news. Shes getting away Scott free . Whilst the whole adultery thing is getting more press is due to the fact scomo  has basically been given a free ride . 
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Dan's approval rating back up into the 70s already: https://www.roymorgan.com/findings/8568-roy-morgan-survey-on-voting-intention-and-approvals-in-victoria-november-12-2020-202011111454
Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

But but but the masks ...
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Build back better, great move: https://twitter.com/DanielAndrewsMP/status/1327781472036552704?s=19
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

MvFCArsenal16.8 - 13 Nov 2020 8:34 PM

But but but the masks ...

https://i.imgur.com/Fj7f112.jpeg

-PB

paladisious
paladisious
Legend

Carlito
Carlito
Legend

paladisious - 20 Dec 2020 5:00 PM

Sky news is taking it easy on Gladys.  One of the promoted videos on YouTube i had to laugh at because it took it so easy on gladys
patjennings
patjennings
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

Australia’s population. 25.5 Million.
HILLSONG has 43,000 members in Australia. 0.0019 % of the population.
Federal Cabinet has 22 members.
13 are HILLSONG make up.59.09 % of the Cabinet. 

This doesn't look like representative democracy to me.
Edited
3 Years Ago by patjennings
Kamaryn
Kamaryn
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

patjennings - 3 Jan 2021 11:15 PM
Australia’s population. 25.5 Million.
HILLSONG has 43,000 members in Australia. 0.0019 % of the population.
Federal Cabinet has 22 members.
13 are HILLSONG make up.59.09 % of the Cabinet. 

This doesn't look like representative democracy to me.

Good thing it's a lie.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

Kamaryn - 6 Jan 2021 12:42 PM
patjennings - 3 Jan 2021 11:15 PM

Good thing it's a lie.

A fair few are from similar pentecostal, evangelical, happy-clapper churches though, yeah? Scomo definitely is.
Edited
3 Years Ago by paladisious
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

I'm more concerned that the joint is full of union hacks on one side and lawyers on the other.  Representative democracy my arse.

Member since 2008.

Carlito
Carlito
Legend

Pressure is on scott Morrison to censure Craig Kelly and George christensten  for their comments about the riots in dc. 
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

Munrubenmuz - 6 Jan 2021 10:38 PM
I'm more concerned that the joint is full of union hacks on one side and lawyers on the other.  Representative democracy my arse.

There are 1.5 million union members in the Australian workforce.
Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

With Muz's sentiment. Too many career politicians. 
Carlito
Carlito
Legend

Burztur - 9 Jan 2021 9:59 AM
With Muz's sentiment. Too many career politicians. 

This. 
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

In less than a week as acting PM, Michael McCormack has given conservatives a licence to lie

Malcolm Farr

Previously seen as an antidote to his predecessor Barnaby Joyce, McCormack has now created his own brand of recklessness

Acting prime minister Michael McCormack
‘He has provided what might amount to a free pass which will suit ill-informed politicians hungry for attention.’ Photograph: Sam Mooy/Getty Images

The acting prime minister of Australia has given party colleagues and extremist warriors a licence to lie.

In doing so, Michael McCormack has turned his one-week fill-in for a vacationing Scott Morrison into a crisis of credibility which could affect all in the Coalition and the conservative branch of politics.

He did this with his argument that truth is negotiable, a line that evoked former Trump advisor Kellyanne Conway’s infamous line about “alternative facts”.

During an interview on the ABC, McCormack was asked about fellow Coalition MP Craig Kelly sharing misinformation online. He said in response: “Facts are sometimes contentious, and what you might think is right somebody else might think is completely untrue.

“That is part of living in a democratic country.”

A provably false contention has the same value as a statement of verifiable fact under the McCormack position.

Then there is that broader matter of government credibility should its MPs be allowed to say whatever they make up under a confected appeal to free speech.

McCormack’s creation of contentious facts could be taken as permission to reject those nuisances such as confirmed medical advice and science, allowing campaigns against measures to deal with the pandemic or changes in the climate.

It is not an outlook one might expect from an acting prime minister who once was a journalist, a profession ideally dedicated to facts. It might have been a bout of clumsy wording which can strike us all. But McCormack has declined to retract it.

As such he has provided what might amount to a free pass which will suit ill-informed politicians hungry for attention.

The LNP member for Dawson George Christensen was the immediate beneficiary.

Christensen wants laws preventing social media platforms fact-checking posts, and removing those without basis.

“How long before the social media overlords interfere heavily in Australian politics? It’s time to rein them in,” he wrote on Facebook on Sunday.

McCormack ignored Christensen’s dabbling in baseless conspiracy theories with the stunningly incongruous line: “George Christensen also supports the Mackay Ringroad.”

Another MP keen to blur the distinction between facts and make-believe is Craig Kelly, Liberal MP for the New South Wales seat of Hughes, who recently shared a debunked article about antifa being part of the US Capitol mob, and has advocated use of unproven drugs to combat Covid-19.

He has also shared on Facebook a study into mask-wearing by children, likening their usage to “child abuse”.

McCormack became Nationals leader and deputy prime minister in February 2018, elected in part in the hope he would be an antidote to his predecessor Barnaby Joyce. He would be a safe pair of hands, as the cliché goes, but also a safe pair of lips.

McCormack was not anticipated to repeat the outbursts of Joyce. But he has now created his own brand of recklessness.

Within the Nationals and the broader federal Coalition there will be questions about the party’s decision in 2018.

Particularly given it was not his only jaw-dropping remark of the week. McCormack could also not bring himself to convincingly condemn the violent invasion of the Capitol in Washington on 6 January without raising past “race riots” in a cackhanded attempt at equivalence.

He seemed to argue the loss of lives and property in Black Lives Matter protests excused or explained the Capitol atrocity. It was a familiar line from the hard right.

But McCormack had a duty to express Australia’s dismay at an attack on the operation of democracy in the US. Instead, he blathered his private opinion, unencumbered by pertinent facts.

When challenged about the comments, he doubled down. “I appreciate there are a lot of people out there who are being a bit bleeding heart about this, and who are confecting outrage.

“But they should know that those lives matter, too. All lives matter.”

The statement was another projection of ignorance which McCormack will have to overcome.

Competent ministers such as David Littleproud of Queensland and Darren Chester of Victoria will have their performances highlighted by comparison with that of their leader.

McCormack won’t lose his position as a result of these missteps, but he now has little scope for further pratfalls.

Muz
Muz
Legend

Scomo finally pulling his finger out and has given fuck knuckle Craig Kelly an earful.  Better late than never I suppose.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/scott-morrison-hauls-in-covid-conspiracy-pusher-craig-kelly-and-declares-enough-is-enough/news-story/953714cfddc1aa3f0ff5421e47a5cedf

Member since 2008.

Carlito
Carlito
Legend

Munrubenmuz - 3 Feb 2021 12:44 PM
Scomo finally pulling his finger out and has given fuck knuckle Craig Kelly an earful.  Better late than never I suppose.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/scott-morrison-hauls-in-covid-conspiracy-pusher-craig-kelly-and-declares-enough-is-enough/news-story/953714cfddc1aa3f0ff5421e47a5cedf

Why is scomo always late ? Does he not give a fuck??
Muz
Muz
Legend

MvFCArsenal16.8 - 3 Feb 2021 12:52 PM

Why is scomo always late ? Does he not give a fuck??

He doesn't want to drive fringe lunatics (and those that vote for them) away to One Nation.  The same reason he refuses to do anything about climate change.   (Hence the 'gas led recovery' which almost every economist has said is a waste of time.)

There's a hard core mob in the liberal party that are anti anything progressive.  Scomo wants to keep them onside because he saw what happened to Turnbull when he tried to finish the NBN and get the NEG through.

Labour has similar problems.  (Look at them trying to be against Adani and for Adani at the same time.  It's laughable.)

Member since 2008.

Edited
3 Years Ago by Munrubenmuz
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 3 Feb 2021 1:11 PM
MvFCArsenal16.8 - 3 Feb 2021 12:52 PM

He doesn't want to drive fringe lunatics (and those that vote for them) away to One Nation.  The same reason he refuses to do anything about climate change.   (Hence the 'gas led recovery' which almost every economist has said is a waste of time.)

There's a hard core mob in the liberal party that are anti anything progressive.  Scomo wants to keep them onside because he saw what happened to Turnbull when he tried to finish the NBN and get the NEG through.

Labour has similar problems.  (Look at them trying to be against Adani and for Adani at the same time.  It's laughable.)

Both parties are struggle to find their place within a rapidly changing notions of what is "left" or "right". 

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

I think ScoMo likes to wait until its clear where the political winds are before making a decision. 
Carlito
Carlito
Legend

sydneyfc1987 - 3 Feb 2021 3:56 PM
Munrubenmuz - 3 Feb 2021 1:11 PM

Both parties are struggle to find their place within a rapidly changing notions of what is "left" or "right". 

The problem with both parties is that they are trying to appeal to the  lowest common denominator.   Labor went from centre left to centre right and the lnp went right wing instead of centre right.  The Fraser's of the world wouldve been called a communist in today's lnp
MarkfromCroydon
MarkfromCroydon
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

MvFCArsenal16.8 - 3 Feb 2021 6:27 PM
sydneyfc1987 - 3 Feb 2021 3:56 PM

The problem with both parties is that they are trying to appeal to the  lowest common denominator.   Labor went from centre left to centre right and the lnp went right wing instead of centre right.  The Fraser's of the world wouldve been called a communist in today's lnp

Actually the ALP and Greens have gone far, far right, and the Libs have moved to the left.
Carlito
Carlito
Legend

MarkfromCroydon - 3 Feb 2021 6:42 PM
MvFCArsenal16.8 - 3 Feb 2021 6:27 PM

Actually the ALP and Greens have gone far, far right, and the Libs have moved to the left.

🤣🤣 do you actually believe what you post? 
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

Burztur - 3 Feb 2021 5:18 PM
I think ScoMo likes to wait until its clear where the political winds are before making a decision. 

Yup, he's a chameleon and only changes his colours when it benefits him.

-PB

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

lol leaked by his office on purpose so he can appear to be actually doing something.

-PB

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search