National second division format announce! Expressions of interest due within a month

National second division format announce! Expressions of interest due...

Author
localstar
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
df1982 - 7 Feb 2023 9:38 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 7 Feb 2023 4:04 PM

Yes, exactly. If it takes a couple of years to introduce pro-rel that's fine, particularly if there is a period of "pro without rel" to expand the league size.

Transitioning to full-time professionalism is a tough ask, but to my mind there should be enough willing clubs for at least a 12-team league in the initial season. This is my prediction (based on likelihood rather than personal preference):

Sydney Olympic
Sydney United 58
Marconi
APIA Leichhardt
South Melbourne
Melbourne Knights
Heidelberg United
Preston Lions
Peninsula Power
Gold Coast United
Adelaide City
Wollongong Wolves

Canberra I imagine will be announced as an A-League expansion side soon, along with Auckland (as the rumours have it). A federation-backed Tasmania bid could be possible, although a home ground might be an issue (unless KGV Park is deemed acceptable). I would also like to see newly formed clubs for Geelong and Ipswich, but it looks like it will mainly be existing sides at this point.

Then the most likely candidates for expansion/promotion would be:
Manly United
Rockdale Ilinden
Sutherland Sharks
Blacktown City
Avondale
Bentleigh
Oakleigh
Perth Red Star 
Perth SC
Brisbane City
Lions
Sunshine Coast Wanderers

I think that's a pretty good "bench" although the switch to full-time will be a challenge for any club. It actually highlights the need for a third tier, which would be split north/south (NSW/Qld/ACT/NNSW and Vic/SA/WA/Tas) and be a transitional semi-pro/full-time pro competition. But obviously that's 5-10 years away at best. The priority right now would be making sure the NSD stabilises.

Adelaide City have their work cut out to make themselves presentable.

But I hope they make it.

bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

localstar - 8 Feb 2023 10:14 AM

But I hope they make it.

They all have their work cut out.
There are A-League clubs who currently don't meet that strict criteria.

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

But I hope they make it.

Juve v Hellas in the first round (whether here or in Adelaide) will get a bigger attendance in March 2024 than any Aleague game being played in the same weekend in either of these cities..... (possible exception is if its Victory v United but if both games are in different cities the difference wont be THAT much)
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

I don't think NZ clubs are being considered for this. If we look at the EOI doc.

1.2 Purpose of this Invitation for Expression of Interest
The purpose of this Invitation for EOI is to:

(c) determine the level of interest from Australian football clubs to participate in a National Second Tier competition;

8.3 History and Culture
the History section asks applicants to outline "the Respondent’s historical and present contributions to the football landscape in Australia and in the Territory;". 

Obviously these are probably not as strict as they may appear. However, I think one of the main purposes of the NST is to re-engage with the clubs that were effectively left behind. Selecting a NZ club over an Australian club purely for geographical diversity is not going to go down well if there are suitable Australian clubs that meet the criteria. 
Footyball
Footyball
Pro
Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 8 Feb 2023 9:57 AM
df1982 - 8 Feb 2023 9:03 AM

But where would a NZ club be relegated to from the NST is the main issue?

Being an Australian lot of competitions, relegation into the NSD from the A League, makes sense. That's how it goes with the other teams.
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

I just listened The Global Game radio show when they interviewed FA CEO James Johnson and he said that the application process is open to all clubs including new entities and even doesnt rule out A-league Reserve sides applying too.

So it will be interesting to see how many will apply for this.
Edited
Last Year by Barca4Life
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

someguyjc - 8 Feb 2023 11:47 AM
I don't think NZ clubs are being considered for this. If we look at the EOI doc.

1.2 Purpose of this Invitation for Expression of Interest
The purpose of this Invitation for EOI is to:

(c) determine the level of interest from Australian football clubs to participate in a National Second Tier competition;

8.3 History and Culture
the History section asks applicants to outline "the Respondent’s historical and present contributions to the football landscape in Australia and in the Territory;". 

Obviously these are probably not as strict as they may appear. However, I think one of the main purposes of the NST is to re-engage with the clubs that were effectively left behind. Selecting a NZ club over an Australian club purely for geographical diversity is not going to go down well if there are suitable Australian clubs that meet the criteria. 

NZ can get farked. Bad enough Wellington are in there let alone some other mob. No to mention the costs of NSD sides having to fly there. Ridiculous. 

Let's hope you're right.

Member since 2008.

Edited
Last Year by Munrubenmuz
df1982
df1982
Rising Star
Rising Star (951 reputation)Rising Star (951 reputation)Rising Star (951 reputation)Rising Star (951 reputation)Rising Star (951 reputation)Rising Star (951 reputation)Rising Star (951 reputation)Rising Star (951 reputation)Rising Star (951 reputation)Rising Star (951 reputation)Rising Star (951 reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 8 Feb 2023 11:04 AM

Juve v Hellas in the first round (whether here or in Adelaide) will get a bigger attendance in March 2024 than any Aleague game being played in the same weekend in either of these cities..... (possible exception is if its Victory v United but if both games are in different cities the difference wont be THAT much)

Perhaps, although I'm dubious. But the challenge isn't to get a one-off big crowd on the opening weekend for teams who haven't played each other in twenty years. It's to get a fanbase that comes back week after week, through thick and thin. This has obviously been something the A-League has been grappling with, and it's something the NPL clubs need to confront too, given that almost all of them play in front of triple-digit crowds most weeks.
Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

I love your enthusiasm but United are pulling 10k crowds this season.

Firstly, they would have to host Juve v Hellas at Hindmarsh to pull that many.

Are we saying Adelaide City's home ground would be Hindmarsh? Maybe but the rent is MASSIVE there.

I know there will be a lot of interest in your game but Adelaide City vs United only got a few thousand at a suburban ground in the cup knock out.

You'd think that was a massive grudge match if people still cared so much about Adelaide City yet even those few thousand were mainly United fans too

ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 8 Feb 2023 1:25 PM
someguyjc - 8 Feb 2023 11:47 AM

NZ can get farked. Bad enough Wellington are in there let alone some other mob. No to mention the costs of NSD sides having to fly there. Ridiculous. 

Let's hope you're right.

Yep.  Shits me no end that they're leaching off Australian football.  Why can't the useless twats create their own professional league?
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Davide82 - 8 Feb 2023 4:25 PM

I love your enthusiasm but United are pulling 10k crowds this season.

Firstly, they would have to host Juve v Hellas at Hindmarsh to pull that many.

Are we saying Adelaide City's home ground would be Hindmarsh? Maybe but the rent is MASSIVE there.

I know there will be a lot of interest in your game but Adelaide City vs United only got a few thousand at a suburban ground in the cup knock out.

You'd think that was a massive grudge match if people still cared so much about Adelaide City yet even those few thousand were mainly United fans too

Do you think Juve vs South at Hindmarsh would draw more or less of a crowd than WU vs Melb City at AAMI on the same day?  (provided Adel Utd are playing away on that day of course)?
Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 8 Feb 2023 4:34 PM
Davide82 - 8 Feb 2023 4:25 PM

Do you think Juve vs South at Hindmarsh would draw more or less of a crowd than WU vs Melb City at AAMI on the same day?  (provided Adel Utd are playing away on that day of course)?

well if United are away that day then your statement is ridiculous.

Juve v Hellas will get a bigger attendance than any Aleague game being played in the same weekend in either of these cities

Also your caveat ignores the possibility of Victory playing one of them you just chose the lowest two drawing teams after boldly stating any game in either city

EVEN THEN.................... I actually wouldn't be prepared to bet money on it. Last time WU v MC happened they got 6,102.............

bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)

Adelaide City was an NSL powerhouse but I don't like their chances of getting into the NSD if they are vying against other clubs with more suitable home grounds. Their facility at Oakden last I saw was a restaurant and a patch of dirt. That said, haven't lived in Adelaide for 15 years, but I know of no major works that have been completed there since.

Don't get me wrong, would love to see them in. Clubs with their history and contribution to the NT are at the heart of what the NSD is all about. I adored them as a kid.
Edited
Last Year by bohemia
Capac
Capac
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

bohemia - 9 Feb 2023 3:19 AM
Adelaide City was an NSL powerhouse but I don't like their chances of getting into the NSD if they are vying against other clubs with more suitable home grounds. Their facility at Oakden last I saw was a restaurant and a patch of dirt. That said, haven't lived in Adelaide for 15 years, but I know of no major works that have been completed there since.

Don't get me wrong, would love to see them in. Clubs with their history and contribution to the NT are at the heart of what the NSD is all about. I adored them as a kid.

There were expansion plans at Oakden pre covid but they didn't seem to go anywhere. I imagine if city make it this would be revisited. 

In the meantime I would think they would play at Marden or service FM stadium at Gepps Cross. 
simione001
simione001
Amateur
Amateur (706 reputation)Amateur (706 reputation)Amateur (706 reputation)Amateur (706 reputation)Amateur (706 reputation)Amateur (706 reputation)Amateur (706 reputation)Amateur (706 reputation)Amateur (706 reputation)Amateur (706 reputation)Amateur (706 reputation)

isnt adelaide city borderline bankrupt?

Davide82
Davide82
Legend

bohemia - 9 Feb 2023 3:19 AM

I think it's very likely any 2nd division team in Adelaide will play at the new Gepps Cross facility the cup games were at.
It's a nice little ground and seemingly already has the lights for broadcast
Squidley
Squidley
Super Fan
Super Fan (151 reputation)Super Fan (151 reputation)Super Fan (151 reputation)Super Fan (151 reputation)Super Fan (151 reputation)Super Fan (151 reputation)Super Fan (151 reputation)Super Fan (151 reputation)Super Fan (151 reputation)Super Fan (151 reputation)Super Fan (151 reputation)

I think you can almost put a line through any Perth team, unless they work out a way where they can hub over in Melbourne and Sydney for parts of the season, which would be a significant cost. 

Id imagine 4 from Melbourne
South Melbourne
Heidelberg United
Melbourne Knights
Bentleigh Greens

5 from Sydney
Wollongong Wolves
Sydney Olympic
Marconi 
APIA
United 58

2 from QLD 
GCU
Peninsula Power

1 from SA
Adelaide City

The travel for Perth teams would be enormous if it was every second week. They wont be funded correctly for that. Unless they can do a deal with an airline it won't be worth it. 
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

^ reasonable guess

I would still love to see Canberra Croatia have a crack, merely from an asset point of view, they put the majority of Australian football clubs to shame, including at least half in the A-League

someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

Squidley - 9 Feb 2023 10:29 AM
I think you can almost put a line through any Perth team, unless they work out a way where they can hub over in Melbourne and Sydney for parts of the season, which would be a significant cost. 

The travel for Perth teams would be enormous if it was every second week. They wont be funded correctly for that. Unless they can do a deal with an airline it won't be worth it. 

How do you know that? The FFA had no issues flying the ALM, ALW and ALY around the country. It doesn't cost anywhere near as much as people assume. Especially when it's only domestic and especially if some states have multiple teams (which is more than likely). Hypothetically let's use your 12 team league as an example. We'll also assume it's a home/away fixture which would be a 22 round competition. So that puts the total amount of games played at 132. You can then knock off 34, as the local NSW, local VIC and local QLD games do not require air travel. That leaves 98 games (maximum) that would require air travel. If they really wanted to penny pinch, that number could be reduced further by having teams play two away games in a row in a single state. Eg (R1 WW vs SM, R2 APIA vs SM). Then SM could have two home games to balance it out. It's also important to note that the FA don't pay the same airfares that we do. Airlines offer corporate deals for organisations that buy a bulk quantity of airfares over the course of the season.
Squidley
Squidley
Super Fan
Super Fan (151 reputation)Super Fan (151 reputation)Super Fan (151 reputation)Super Fan (151 reputation)Super Fan (151 reputation)Super Fan (151 reputation)Super Fan (151 reputation)Super Fan (151 reputation)Super Fan (151 reputation)Super Fan (151 reputation)Super Fan (151 reputation)

someguyjc - 9 Feb 2023 11:17 AM

How do you know that? The FFA had no issues flying the ALM, ALW and ALY around the country. It doesn't cost anywhere near as much as people assume. Especially when it's only domestic and especially if some states have multiple teams (which is more than likely). Hypothetically let's use your 12 team league as an example. We'll also assume it's a home/away fixture which would be a 22 round competition. So that puts the total amount of games played at 132. You can then knock off 34, as the local NSW, local VIC and local QLD games do not require air travel. That leaves 98 games (maximum) that would require air travel. If they really wanted to penny pinch, that number could be reduced further by having teams play two away games in a row in a single state. Eg (R1 WW vs SM, R2 APIA vs SM). Then SM could have two home games to balance it out. It's also important to note that the FA don't pay the same airfares that we do. Airlines offer corporate deals for organisations that buy a bulk quantity of airfares over the course of the season.

Understand where you are coming from, but i cna assure you travel is only subsidised for these teams, not completely covered. 

The main reason why the ALY was canned was travel costs. it ended up being a conferenced structure when it ended because of this reason too. 

When you break it down it isnt a huge amount of travel i agree, however there needs to be strong financial backing for it to work for a WA team to be involved. 

The longer a team stays away from home also drives up costs as the organsiation will be up for hotel bills the entire time they are on the road. Plenty of factors to consider when the bulk of teams will be in VIC and NSW.
numklpkgulftumch
numklpkgulftumch
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)

Pretty sure the annual license fee will create the travel pool money for whole comp

numklpkgulftumch
numklpkgulftumch
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)

The only seats at GCU are in the dugout and the canteen verandah

Butler99
Butler99
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

South Melbourne
Heidelberg United
Melbourne Knights
Bentleigh Greens

5 from Sydney
Wollongong Wolves
Sydney Olympic
Marconi 
APIA
United 58

2 from QLD 
GCU
Peninsula Power

1 from SA
Adelaide City

So during peak NSL the club's couldn't go professional but now they can??
South Melb tried and nearly went bust. Reverted back to semi-pro after the Brazil money dried up. 

Why do we think now it is a viable option for these clubs to turn pro?
Crowds lower. Sponsorship lower. Costs higher. 

Why do we think a second tier will drive more $$$ and fans to it? 
Sports fans are not interested in second tier sports. Sponsors are not interested. Media isn't interested. 

This doesn't make sense. 

I'm all for a second division. But the criteria currently set (no doubt with PFA input) will cause the application process to fail. 
df1982
df1982
Rising Star
Rising Star (951 reputation)Rising Star (951 reputation)Rising Star (951 reputation)Rising Star (951 reputation)Rising Star (951 reputation)Rising Star (951 reputation)Rising Star (951 reputation)Rising Star (951 reputation)Rising Star (951 reputation)Rising Star (951 reputation)Rising Star (951 reputation)

South Melbourne
Heidelberg United
Melbourne Knights
Bentleigh Greens

5 from Sydney
Wollongong Wolves
Sydney Olympic
Marconi 
APIA
United 58

2 from QLD 
GCU
Peninsula Power

1 from SA
Adelaide City

Funny we came up with almost exactly the same list (I just had Preston swapped in for Bentleigh, on the basis of their decent crowds).

The best solution for a Perth team, to my mind, is to grant one a spot (probably Perth Red Star), but delay its introduction a year or two so that initial travel costs are kept low. A Perth team and the top NPL side could be introduced as the first expansion round of the NSD.

Flights within the Bri-Syd-Mel-Ade corridor are actually pretty cheap, so without teams from Perth, NZ or NQ travel costs could be kept to a reasonable level.

bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)

df1982 - 10 Feb 2023 5:07 AM

Funny we came up with almost exactly the same list (I just had Preston swapped in for Bentleigh, on the basis of their decent crowds).

The best solution for a Perth team, to my mind, is to grant one a spot (probably Perth Red Star), but delay its introduction a year or two so that initial travel costs are kept low. A Perth team and the top NPL side could be introduced as the first expansion round of the NSD.

Flights within the Bri-Syd-Mel-Ade corridor are actually pretty cheap, so without teams from Perth, NZ or NQ travel costs could be kept to a reasonable level.

Before covid, MEL-SYD was the highest patronised flight route. In. The. World. 

I know people are in love with the "Australia is really big" argument, but in reality, travel costs in Australia are not much more than in a small country. Travel times are not so much worse either except for in the extremes with travel to Perth. Think about it. You don't fly 200km to another city within many European countries. Hell, Liverpool just got flamed internationally for doing exactly that. Anyways, you'd spend more time in the airport waiting than you would spend driving the team in a bus. A plane holds 10 times more people than a bus. There's your marginal costs right there.

I agree with not including a Perth side upfront for a few reasons. Not necessarily just to protect the travel funds pool. I just don't think there are any particularly strong clubs there that contributed as much on a national level. For the obvious reason that the only one they have had is Perth Glory.
Edited
Last Year by bohemia
Beretta
Beretta
Hacker
Hacker (457 reputation)Hacker (457 reputation)Hacker (457 reputation)Hacker (457 reputation)Hacker (457 reputation)Hacker (457 reputation)Hacker (457 reputation)Hacker (457 reputation)Hacker (457 reputation)Hacker (457 reputation)Hacker (457 reputation)

bettega - 9 Feb 2023 10:47 AM
^ reasonable guess

I would still love to see Canberra Croatia have a crack, merely from an asset point of view, they put the majority of Australian football clubs to shame, including at least half in the A-League

Canberra needs to have a team in the NSD. Whether it's Canberra Croatia or Canberra United new men's side etc. I feel they need to be represented. 
bettega
bettega
World Class

Travel costs are quite high at the moment.
I'm going to Melbourne in the next couple of weeks, and airfares plus three nights 3.5 star accommodation  sets you back 2 grand before you even worry about dining and spending money.

If you're travelling with a crew of, I don't' know, 16-17 players plus minimal coaching staff of 3 0r 4, that's 20 people, and I can't see that you are getting any change out of $30,000 if you're staying overnight.

This is why we're likely to see almost all the teams located in NSW/Vic.

someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro

bettega - 10 Feb 2023 9:51 AM
Travel costs are quite high at the moment.
I'm going to Melbourne in the next couple of weeks, and airfares plus three nights 3.5 star accommodation  sets you back 2 grand before you even worry about dining and spending money.

If you're travelling with a crew of, I don't' know, 16-17 players plus minimal coaching staff of 3 0r 4, that's 20 people, and I can't see that you are getting any change out of $30,000 if you're staying overnight.

This is why we're likely to see almost all the teams located in NSW/Vic.

The rates are commercial so they are lower than what the general public pays. When it comes to air travel, the FA will have a commercial deal with one of the Airlines. All the flights for all of the national teams, the future NST and any other FA support/admin staff is essentially be bundled together for a bulk pricing. The same goes with accomodation. They will have an agreement with a hotel chain(s) and receive better rates as they are purchasing alot. In 18/19 the FFA travel expenses for the A-League, W-League and Youth League was only $3.7m. That includes international travel to NZ and also includes road travel expenses. If we average that across the 3 leagues, it's $16.3k per game.  Based on that, and knowing there will almost certainly be more clubs based in NSW and VIC and no international travel, we can safely estimate that the travel expenses will be between $1-2m depending on how many clubs are selected. I'd be pretty certain that travel expenses would be under 1.5. In the scheme of things travel is not a high expense for the NST, even with a team based in Perth. 
Edited
Last Year by someguyjc
Davide82
Davide82
Legend

Guys, what's NST as opposed NSD?
I have seen people using it this week after years of using NSD.
Tier?
Edited
Last Year by Davide82
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro

Davide82 - 10 Feb 2023 10:41 AM
Guys, what's NST as opposed NSD?
I have seen people using it this week after years of using NSD.
Tier?

The FA EOI doc uses the term National Second Tier (NST)
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search