An incredibly boring, repetitive thread about ethnic clubs

An incredibly boring, repetitive thread about ethnic clubs

Author
Arthur
World Class
World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
StarvinMarvin wrote:
Benjamin wrote:
Glory Recruit wrote:
just a bunch of whiney bitches cause they cant have there ethnic only clubs in the A league.

Once again for the noisy kids at the back who won't (or can't) listen... The only people who refer to these clubs as 'ethnic only' are those who don't like them. There is no exclusion. I feel extremely strongly about this because I am a non-'ethnic' who supports one of these supposedly 'ethnic only' clubs and I've never had so much as a raised eyebrow in my direction at any match in the NSL or VPL.

South Melbourne is truly a multicultural club. Why just look at their board memebers! :roll: :roll: :roll:

President
Leo Athanasakis

Chairman
Nick Galatas

Secretary
George Koukoulas

Treasurer
Peter Parthimos

Board of Management
Ange Dallas - Director of Football
Dr George Triantos - Corporate Sales, Marketing & Events
Tony Margaritis - General Business / Merchandise
Tom Kalas – Youth Development
George Koukoulas - Venue Management
Lucky Chrisomalidis - Sales

Administration
Nicki Tsourekis - Operations Manager
George Kouroumalis - Media & Communications Manager
Michael Dimoudis - Web Site Manager
John Kyrou - Club Historian
Paul Zarogiannis - Video Production
Nick Szkilnik - Operations & Events Assistant

Great pathways for those involved in the club but dont have a greek background hey.

Tell me is this a WOG thing?:-#
southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

StarvinMarvin wrote:
Benjamin wrote:
Glory Recruit wrote:
just a bunch of whiney bitches cause they cant have there ethnic only clubs in the A league.

Once again for the noisy kids at the back who won't (or can't) listen... The only people who refer to these clubs as 'ethnic only' are those who don't like them. There is no exclusion. I feel extremely strongly about this because I am a non-'ethnic' who supports one of these supposedly 'ethnic only' clubs and I've never had so much as a raised eyebrow in my direction at any match in the NSL or VPL.

South Melbourne is truly a multicultural club. Why just look at their board memebers! :roll: :roll: :roll:

President
Leo Athanasakis

Chairman
Nick Galatas

Secretary
George Koukoulas

Treasurer
Peter Parthimos

Board of Management

Administration

Great pathways for those involved in the club but dont have a greek background hey.

Ah ok so because they have longish surnames we dismiss the fact that they are Australians born in Australia, Nick Szkilnik the Polish background Operations & Events Assistant must be feeling out of place with all those bloody greeks that cant speak English! its a vpl club you muppet, everyone involved does it out of love and free time, are you expecting some hot shot business man to get involved? numpty

lets go back to the nsl days
http://www.smfc.com.au/news/198/big-australia-day-celebration-at-the-soccer/

im sure the surname of the South ceo would delight you, nothing like an aussie sounding name such as Patterson to get the juices flowing, how did the bloke get the job as ceo if he aint greek? im absolutely shocked and appaled, pfft sponsored by crazy johns, a greek club with a turkish backed sponsor, shame shame shame, ethnic, violent, non inclusive, kick them out of sokkah!
:lol:
TheKAT
TheKAT
Super Fan
Super Fan (137 reputation)Super Fan (137 reputation)Super Fan (137 reputation)Super Fan (137 reputation)Super Fan (137 reputation)Super Fan (137 reputation)Super Fan (137 reputation)Super Fan (137 reputation)Super Fan (137 reputation)Super Fan (137 reputation)Super Fan (137 reputation)

Group: Banned Members
StarvinMarvin wrote:
Benjamin wrote:
Glory Recruit wrote:

President
Leo Athanasakis

Chairman
Nick Galatas

Secretary
George Koukoulas

Treasurer
Peter Parthimos

Board of Management

Administration

SYDNEY FC has a totally JEWISH BOARD , what is you point?

there new CEO is jewish to?

I dont get what you are getting at here
TheKAT
TheKAT
Super Fan
Super Fan (137 reputation)Super Fan (137 reputation)Super Fan (137 reputation)Super Fan (137 reputation)Super Fan (137 reputation)Super Fan (137 reputation)Super Fan (137 reputation)Super Fan (137 reputation)Super Fan (137 reputation)Super Fan (137 reputation)Super Fan (137 reputation)

Group: Banned Members
macktheknife wrote:
southmelb wrote:
Benjamin wrote:
scouse_roar wrote:
What a crying shame that these small-time racist clubs are still trying to destroy the game in this country. You'd think they'd have learned that that is not the way forward.

Would love it if you could explain how we are (a) racist, (b) trying to destroy the game.

Just one shred of evidence to support either argument, please. Actually, sod the evidence, just give me a logical theory.

for me the nsl trully represented our country, we had a mix of australian clubs formed by hard working immigrants mixed in with your new clubs as well, every type of club in an inclusive national league setup, if these clubs were such racists they would have done everything possible to ensure that clubs like perth glory never got a look in, if we are being brutally honest its a more racist setup today.

Yes, the destructive, crushing segregation where race isn't part of the club or it's identity at all.

DAMN YUO LOWY YOU RACIST!

The rovers dont have a backer is this the biggest joke ever, this club will fail and will we blame the ethnic clubs for this to?
Hank
Hank
Amateur
Amateur (630 reputation)Amateur (630 reputation)Amateur (630 reputation)Amateur (630 reputation)Amateur (630 reputation)Amateur (630 reputation)Amateur (630 reputation)Amateur (630 reputation)Amateur (630 reputation)Amateur (630 reputation)Amateur (630 reputation)

TheKAT wrote:
StarvinMarvin wrote:
Benjamin wrote:
Glory Recruit wrote:

President
Leo Athanasakis

Chairman
Nick Galatas

Secretary
George Koukoulas

Treasurer
Peter Parthimos

Board of Management

Administration

SYDNEY FC has a totally JEWISH BOARD , what is you point?

there new CEO is jewish to?

I dont get what you are getting at here

I'm not getting involved in this, but he is implying the Board of Operations is GREEK, whereas you're talking about a Board of Directors being JEWISH. Um, sorry to break it to you pal, but one is a race of people and the other is a religion... Just sayin'.

I notice you still haven't popped your head in here - http://au.fourfourtwo.com/forums/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=37720 - you could learn a lot...
Minimalistix
Minimalistix
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

Being Jewish is also ethnicity moron.
spathi
spathi
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

Edited by spathi: 17/8/2010 06:19:08 AM
scouse_roar
scouse_roar
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

skeptic wrote:
With the words being used such as segregation, exclusion, assimilation, un-Australian, integrate, and such questions as "can you read English?", this thread has much more in common with a One Nation speech to the party faithful.

Scouse, you claim to be bored of this subject, yet you bring it up once again and contribute with vigour. Give people credit for an inkling of intelligence please. Do you think the premise for doing so isn't transparent?

I doubt I'll see a substantial acceptance of the many hundreds, if not thousands of immigrant founded clubs around the country nor a compromise at the national level in my lifetime by many in the game. It took 50 years to rid the 'Ethnics' of any influence in the national game and it will now be clung to with a white knuckle fist. As can be seen in this forum, there's those that even call for 'Ethnic' founded clubs to be excluded from all levels of Australian football.

A renouncing of your ancestry, a name change by deed poll, a Mr. Smith, Jones and Brown on your board, speaking English with a nasal Aussie accent and a lighter shade of skin bleaching might be enough to please some, but what's worth paying that price?

The reason for doing so is that annoying trolls keep starting threads in AF claiming that not having the ethnic clubs in the A-League is racist and discriminatory and "arguments" of that nature. I continually and rightly point out that the very basis of their clubs is racist and discriminatory. Since everyone that supports an A-League club seems to resent the 'new football'ers of the A-League and their non-ethnic-aligned clubs, why do they want so badly (to the point of obsession) to be part of it?

You have a place in Australian football: it's absolutely the right place, because the NSL excluded a large number of people that were passionate about football that didn't have an outlet for that passion. It's sad that supporters of old NSL clubs don't go and support the A-League very much, no wonder there's no reciprocation.

skeptic
skeptic
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

scouse_roar wrote:

The reason for doing so is that annoying trolls keep starting threads in AF claiming that not having the ethnic clubs in the A-League is racist and discriminatory and "arguments" of that nature. I continually and rightly point out that the very basis of their clubs is racist and discriminatory. Since everyone that supports an A-League club seems to resent the 'new football'ers of the A-League and their non-ethnic-aligned clubs, why do they want so badly (to the point of obsession) to be part of it?

You have a place in Australian football: it's absolutely the right place, because the NSL excluded a large number of people that were passionate about football that didn't have an outlet for that passion. It's sad that supporters of old NSL clubs don't go and support the A-League very much, no wonder there's no reciprocation.

Claiming threads on certain subjects are boring, tedious and tiring, by starting another similar boring, tedious and tiring thread is quite sensible, isn't it?

There is obviously several posters who stir the pot to the detriment of their own argument. Fools And that goes for pro and con posters. Fools come in all flavours. However, there are many others that discuss sensibly and politely so all should not be tarred with the same brush by any stretch of the imagination.
Generalisations are made and stereotypes used that can only cause resentment.

You claim the principle of immigrant established football clubs is in itself racist. To be so, a policy of exclusion, official or otherwise, would need to be practised. There is no policy nor is any practised. Not a hint of it. On the contrary, and if more 'fair dinkum Aussies' would care to spend the time to find out, anyone and everyone is more than welcome and would be treated with the same respect you care to afford your hosts.

I often see the claim on here that some felt/feel unwelcome or uncomfortable attending a match at an 'ethnic' established club, but if you, I or anyone else feels uncomfortable around a collective of people of a different heritage then yourself, then you, I or anyone else has the problem mixing with others when not in the majority.

I'm of Welsh decent and have always been welcome and made feel so regardless of the ethnicity of the club I attend and the many hundreds of others i've known over decades of football, like me, have had the same experience. Maybe we didn't have a preconception we wouldn't be welcome because we're of a different heritage, maybe if we did it was soon shown as wrong by simply shaking a hand, saying g'day and treating people the way we'd expect for ourselves. Maybe we didn't tell them they had a 'shitty little ethnic club', look down our noses at them and then say 'I told ya so" if we didn't then feel comfortable.

I have no alliance to any state league or aleague club and haven't attended either for years as geography prevents it. My beef is with those that call for exclusion of 'Ethnic' immigrant established clubs at all levels of Australian football. Joe Blow is free participate in any way, shape or form he chooses, with the peers he chooses, regardless of heritage and without the active or passive exclusion of any.

If another Joe Blow has a problem of feeling uncomfortable around others, maybe Joe needs to look at his attitude towards those a little different from himself and think about moving just a little bit away from of his homogenised, preferential view of what Australia should be and explore the big grey are in between the black & white. You never know, Joe might even gain personal benefit from moving out of his comfort zone. Maybe, even some new friendships.

Edited by skeptic: 17/8/2010 10:27:44 AM
scouse_roar
scouse_roar
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Sorry, but there's a difference between being made uncomfortable by "those a little different from yourself" and being made uncomfortable by violence, both actual and threatened, and by conflict transference.

Also, there is a policy of exclusion practiced by those clubs, whatever you and Benjamin and anyone else might pretend.

I do find the accusations of racism pretty galling and over the top. For what, not supporting an ethnic club I feel nothing for? If I'm racist, so are most A-League supporters, by your logic.

Minimalistix
Minimalistix
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

I'm off to a Chinese restaurant now that has Chinese writing everywhere... Scouse Roar, i'll come back and tell you how racially vilified and left out I was :D
scouse_roar
scouse_roar
Legend

It only takes a quick glance at the NSWPL finals thread to tell you exactly what I'm talking about.
skeptic
skeptic
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

scouse_roar wrote:
Sorry, but there's a difference between being made uncomfortable by "those a little different from yourself" and being made uncomfortable by violence, both actual and threatened, and by conflict transference.

Also, there is a policy of exclusion practiced by those clubs, whatever you and Benjamin and anyone else might pretend.

I do find the accusations of racism pretty galling and over the top. For what, not supporting an ethnic club I feel nothing for? If I'm racist, so are most A-League supporters, by your logic.

By gee, your are an expert in nsl experiences for someone that has never been to an nsl game.
Yes, there would be a difference, however, if you were to use your brain, just a touch, you would be aware many have stated they felt uncomfortable, without any violence being present and based simply on the fact they were not themselves, ethnic, and that's what my comments were in regards to. One poster, for example, claimed to feel uncomfortable because he was stared at by others and there were groups of old men in the stands speaking Greek. You, sir, didn't even give yourself an opportunity to see for yourself how you would be accepted by never attending.

Please explain the practised policy of exclusion, with examples if you could. Yes, i'm aware you never attended an nsl game, but try nonetheless. Don't just throw dirt and hope most sticks. And the examples of violence you speak of that kept you away from your local games in Brisbane.

No claims of racism towards you from my direction, sunshine, so what's my logic have to do with your comment?

Edited by skeptic: 17/8/2010 11:27:34 AM
scouse_roar
scouse_roar
Legend

When did I say I never attended an NSL game? I went to quite a few Strikers games, as well as games in Sydney and Melbourne. Was appalled by the racism, bigotry and animosity shown at the games. Never felt comfortable going so I stopped.

Arthur
Arthur
World Class
World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)

scouse_roar wrote:
When did I say I never attended an NSL game? I went to quite a few Strikers games, as well as games in Sydney and Melbourne. Was appalled by the racism, bigotry and animosity shown at the games. Never felt comfortable going so I stopped.

You forgot the violence, riots and flare throwing.
skeptic
skeptic
Pro

Quote:

Please explain the practised policy of exclusion, with examples if you could.

And the answer to the above, is?
scouse_roar
scouse_roar
Legend

skeptic wrote:
Quote:

I went to a Sydney Croatia game. I was greeted in Croatian by the ticket seller. The chanting at the game was 95% Croatian. There was violence towards the opposition during the match.

Hmmmm.
Arthur
Arthur
World Class

scouse_roar wrote:
skeptic wrote:
Quote:

I went to a Sydney Croatia game. I was greeted in Croatian by the ticket seller. The chanting at the game was 95% Croatian. There was violence towards the opposition during the match.

Hmmmm.

And they serve Croatian food too.
Arthur
Arthur
World Class

Probably had Graham Arnold and Robbie Slater playing for them.

That would turm me off too.
Minimalistix
Minimalistix
Semi-Pro

Arthur wrote:
scouse_roar wrote:
skeptic wrote:
Quote:

Hmmmm.

scouser_roat would have been appalled with the amount of ethnic food at this game, like the Cevapi :D haha

FC Bossy have the best Cevapi though (awaits for all the Serbs and Cro's to go off at me)
skeptic
skeptic
Pro

scouse_roar wrote:
skeptic wrote:
Quote:

Hmmmm.

I'd advise them to put a bit more vigour in their practised policy of exclusion if all they can come up with is a ticket seller at one of the games you attended not greeting you in English. I'd think all ticket sellers at all venues at all times should refuse to speak English and force a recital of Waltzing Matilda in the relevant ethnic language as a condition of entry. Now there's a real man's exclusion policy.

If your examples of a claimed practised policy of exclusion are limited to the paltry excuse for examples listed above, Mr Scouse, please excuse me if I shake my head at your readiness to publicly display the childish naivety required to think those comments could possibly be taken seriously.

Hmmmmmmm, indeed.

Edited by skeptic: 17/8/2010 01:19:11 PM
sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend
Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)

Minimalistix wrote:
Arthur wrote:
scouse_roar wrote:
skeptic wrote:
Quote:

Hmmmm.

scouser_roat would have been appalled with the amount of ethnic food at this game, like the Cevapi :D haha

FC Bossy have the best Cevapi though (awaits for all the Serbs and Cro's to go off at me)

Hey, Spider says the best Cevapi in Sydney is at King Tom so end of story:p
Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Moderators
scouse_roar wrote:
there is a policy of exclusion practiced by those clubs, whatever you and Benjamin and anyone else might pretend.

You can say that if you wish - but I'm more than happy to invite any supporter of any ethnicity, race, colour, religion, accent, height, weight, sexual persuasion, disability, etc., to come down to a South Melbourne game next season (wherever we might be playing). They may be bored by the football, but I guarentee that they won't be excluded by the club, abused by the supporters, etc.

scouse_roar
scouse_roar
Legend

Do you really need me to paint you a complete picture of that particular day, and many others I have experienced, skeptic?

All we really need to know is that those dark days are in the past, and football is now a game for everyone, not just marginalised ethnic groups acting out their European domination fantasies and petty nationalistic rivalries on the stage of the NSL. I think it's time you stopped living in the past.

Our experiences are in the past, but there's a footballing future in our hands.
skeptic
skeptic
Pro

scouse_roar wrote:
Do you really need me to paint you a complete picture of that particular day, and many others I have experienced, skeptic?

All we really need to know is that those dark days are in the past, and football is now a game for everyone, not just marginalised ethnic groups acting out their European domination fantasies and petty nationalistic rivalries on the stage of the NSL. I think it's time you stopped living in the past.

No, you do, Mr Scouse, to support up your claim of ethnic clubs having a practising policy of exclusion. You didn't need assistance to put your foot in your mouth and I'll not offer help to remove it.

"How do I come out of this smelling like roses and not looking the prat?", ponders Mr. Scouse. Humility isn't a trait you're at all familiar with, is it Mr Scouse?

Hmmmmm.

Edited by skeptic: 17/8/2010 02:32:03 PM

Edited by skeptic: 17/8/2010 02:35:18 PM
pimpsta
pimpsta
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

hmmmm
Heart_fan
Heart_fan
World Class
World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)

Damn 6 pages of this already..... its the never ending story:)
Minimalistix
Minimalistix
Semi-Pro

sydneycroatia58 wrote:
Minimalistix wrote:
Arthur wrote:
scouse_roar wrote:
skeptic wrote:
Quote:

Hmmmm.

Hey, Spider says the best Cevapi in Sydney is at King Tom so end of story:p

One comment on why Bossy have the best Cevapi

Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Moderators
scouse_roar wrote:
I think it's time you stopped living in the past.

And this is the key point.

We don't want to live in the past.

We want to live in the future with the rest of you. We WANT to move forward, but we aren't allowed.
scouse_roar
scouse_roar
Legend

How exactly have I put my foot in my mouth? Please explain.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search