New $170m soccer stadium proposed in Dandenong by Team 11 franchise

New $170m soccer stadium proposed in Dandenong by Team 11 franchise

Author
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
southmelb - 30 Apr 2018 11:47 AM
MarkfromCroydon - 30 Apr 2018 11:38 AM

Will they be crowd pullers interstate? Unlikely
Will they command top tier tv ratings? Also unlikely.

Of course this shouldnt matter but since everything is about metrics these things fo go into consideration.

Adelaide united v dandenong doesnt exactly wet the appetite.

Dandenong vs the other Melbourne clubs would though, there would be an extra 4-6 derbies a season which fits the metrics.
chondro
chondro
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

I'd like to see...

A League/W League/AY League program/WY League program

26 team (3 tier comp) 10-8-8

Qld (6)
Brisbane, Brisbane City, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, Cairns, Townsville

Nsw (6)
Sydney, Sydney City, Western Sydney, Newcastle, Central Coast, Wollongong

Vic (6)
Melbourne, Melbourne City, Sth Melbourne, Dandenong, Geelong, Bendigo

Sa (3)
Adelaide, Adelaide city, West Adelaide

Wa (2)
Perth, Perth city

Tas (1)
Hobart

Act (1)
Canberra

Nt (1)
Darwin
southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

City Sam - 30 Apr 2018 11:51 AM

Dandenong vs the other Melbourne clubs would though, there would be an extra 4-6 derbies a season which fits the metrics.

Derbies are derbies. You could throw in dandy thunder or dandy city and it would have the same effect. Its how you do away from the derbies that counts, what sort of crowd pulling ability you have away from home. Before the CFG takeover  Melb Heart had brutal interest interstate and even less so on tv. Theyre gonna have to go big here and chase names to meet the metrics mark.

As i said this shouldnt matter but we have such a stupid flawed model it will impact.
aufc_ole
aufc_ole
World Class
World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)

Remember last week when I said this was a strong bid?
It has EVERYTHING!
The stadium in this location, with the land gifted by the Council is a GAME Changer.
It's a win-win-win.
Win for football with: more local derbies for Victory and City, in the heartland of Melbourne's football community (more local clubs and registered players than any other LGA), demographics that are likely to support football (high immigrant population from countries with strong football traditions), great location for opposition supporters with train/bus access and freeway access, most Victory/City supporters are probably less than an hour travel from the stadium. The team should be well supported.

Win for South East Melbourne: This area is one of the fastest growing areas in the nation. All 3 local Councils want to "bring Melbourne to the south east" not have to go to Melbourne CBD. The Monash freeway is a nightmare.  It takes anywhere from 1.5 to nearly 2 hours to drive to and from the CBD on the Monash carpark in peak hour to the biggest. It takes about 35-45 minutes going on the Monash when you're going 'the other way' in peak hour. There are people out here who are 'fatigued' from driving the Monash every day who will not go to the city to attend football matches or other events, even though they are not on at the peak hour travel times. However, these people just might go to a local stadium. 

Win for FFA and Fox: Melbourne t.v timeslot. Fish where the fish are, backed by investors with money and previous experience in the competition (Gerry Ryan).

Really, it's a great bid.

Is this still under the current broken operating model? Just asking for a friend.. 
City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

southmelb - 30 Apr 2018 11:59 AM
City Sam - 30 Apr 2018 11:51 AM

Derbies are derbies. You could throw in dandy thunder or dandy city and it would have the same effect. Its how you do away from the derbies that counts, what sort of crowd pulling ability you have away from home. Before the CFG takeover  Melb Heart had brutal interest interstate and even less so on tv. Theyre gonna have to go big here and chase names to meet the metrics mark.

As i said this shouldnt matter but we have such a stupid flawed model it will impact.

But which teams would actually create immediate interstate interest apart from your lot
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Iknowbest - 30 Apr 2018 11:33 AM
Buggalugs 2.0 - 30 Apr 2018 11:25 AM

Actually I think you have to give some credit to "paladisious".
He called the exact site and you are just looking silly having a go at him for doing so.

Pala has brought up that site quite a number of times.  I remember posting that its too tight for a stadium and it is but they have squeezed a small stadium on it with the ability for a small expansion in future.  The location is perfect.
Bocca
Bocca
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Great location for a team and stadium imo. Derbies against Melbourne teams will be massive occasions. No new team introduced (except South Melbourne) is going to have any interstate rivalries. I personally think a small intimate stadium packed out with passionate fans every week is the best viewing on TV. 
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

All this bid process does is prolong the inevitable. Let's assume 2 bids get selected (or 3 if Wellington gets booted). Interest will go up for 2, 3, 4 or 5 years and then we'll be back to square one with the same repetition, top 6 (maybe top 8 to maintain interest) and no link to any sort of pyramid. It's fucked.

I was an A-League fan for a long time, loved the finals on Friday and Saturday night which were great theatre, but this thing is dying a slow death.

Member since 2008.

rbs
rbs
Amateur
Amateur (504 reputation)Amateur (504 reputation)Amateur (504 reputation)Amateur (504 reputation)Amateur (504 reputation)Amateur (504 reputation)Amateur (504 reputation)Amateur (504 reputation)Amateur (504 reputation)Amateur (504 reputation)Amateur (504 reputation)

chondro - 30 Apr 2018 11:52 AM
Nsw (6)Sydney, Sydney City, Western Sydney, Newcastle, Central Coast, Wollongong

What the hell is "Sydney City" supposed to represent?

If you are going to have 6 teams, it would probably be better to have something like:
Sydney FC, WSW, either South-West Sydney or Nepean, Wollongong, Central Coast, Newcastle
jas88
jas88
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

reminds me of the old NSL: where if you had mates in high places things can get done
P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 30 Apr 2018 12:22 PM
All this bid process does is prolong the inevitable. Let's assume 2 bids get selected (or 3 if Wellington gets booted). Interest will go up for 2, 3, 4 or 5 years and then we'll be back to square one with the same repetition, top 6 (maybe top 8 to maintain interest) and no link to any sort of pyramid. It's fucked.

I was an A-League fan for a long time, loved the finals on Friday and Saturday night which were great theatre, but this thing is dying a slow death.

Can I interest you in a Relegation Battle ?

http://forum.insidesport.com.au/2496954/The-Practice-Relegation-Battle-Thread

Image result for dodgy salesman

Closed HAL is failing with 10 teams
Closed HAL failed with 11
FFA forced to try a 12 team Closed HAL thatll just create 2 more mid table also-rans
and still this weird 16-team panacea gets trotted out. 
Theres a sticky for this nonsense
https://forum.insidesport.com.au/1617388/The-Aleague-Expansion-Thread

Edited
6 Years Ago by Buggalugs 2.0
bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Just letting you guys know I'm holding a press conference later...

I have a piece of land and would love to build a stadium on it, I just need the government to give me $170 million for it.

Hopefully they'll promise it to me as an election promise for an election that won't be won till after the two new franchises are announced.

Cheers
Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

southmelb - 30 Apr 2018 11:22 AM
Midfielder - 30 Apr 2018 11:19 AM

Realistically only 2-3 spots are up for grabs, its between southern expansion, the plastic version of brisbane city and this team11 thing. You would have to be delusional to think the likes of wolves, sm and adl city have a chance under the current model.

yep agree. maybe SMH might be better off having some sort alignment with Team 11? 

this is a great announcement. exciting. but I would like to see more details. how much are the 3 local councils contributing? How much is Gerry Ryan contributing? How much funding do they want from the government? certainly good timing with an election coming in 7 months. $170 million feels like a pittance in comparison to the $500+ million they are handing the AFL
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

I love how much wank is on this thread.

There is zero commitment with nothing but ifs and buts. Its also an election year so theres certainly no guarantee.

As for people as a result of this speculative bid adding in darwin 5 sydneys and whatever. Get real. Seriously need to pull your heads in when we have grown by 2 teams in the last almost 13 years now and none of whom have their own stadium.

MarkfromCroydon
MarkfromCroydon
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

I don't think you understand how big a deal it is for the team11 bid to have the local council gifting them the land and Gerry Ryan on board.
These moves have pretty much sealed the deal that this WILL be one of the bids that is accepted.
Already investors are trying to get on board.
Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

TheSelectFew - 30 Apr 2018 1:28 PM
I love how much wank is on this thread.

There is zero commitment with nothing but ifs and buts. Its also an election year so theres certainly no guarantee.

As for people as a result of this speculative bid adding in darwin 5 sydneys and whatever. Get real. Seriously need to pull your heads in when we have grown by 2 teams in the last almost 13 years now and none of whom have their own stadium.

i think the idea is fairly serious. melbourne is fucked if it doesnt decentralise better. it's going to crack 5 million this year and is already struggling to cope. if you are going to pull new arrivals away from the city centre you need somewhere else for them to go that is actually liveable. they are going to have to spend billions to acquire property and increase road and public transport capacity - doing it away from the city centre is much more viable.

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

inala brah - 30 Apr 2018 1:48 PM
TheSelectFew - 30 Apr 2018 1:28 PM

i think the idea is fairly serious. melbourne is fucked if it doesnt decentralise better. it's going to crack 5 million this year and is already struggling to cope. if you are going to pull new arrivals away from the city centre you need somewhere else for them to go that is actually liveable. they are going to have to spend billions to acquire property and increase road and public transport capacity - doing it away from the city centre is much more viable.

I agree regarding decentralisation however this is not a great idea .The plan is based upon Casey Fields, a football oval.

Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

TheSelectFew - 30 Apr 2018 1:57 PM
inala brah - 30 Apr 2018 1:48 PM

I agree regarding decentralisation however this is not a great idea .The plan is based upon Casey Fields, a football oval.

Its not at Casey Fields, its 100m from Dandenong station.  Casey Fields is where their training grounds will be.
Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

marconi101 - 30 Apr 2018 11:09 AM

nay expand to 16 ...

one of the Brisbane bids
the two Sydney bids
Gong
Casey / Dand
Adl City

Thats 6

Then out with the Nix in with South Melbourne.

Realistically only 2-3 spots are up for grabs, its between southern expansion, the plastic version of brisbane city and this team11 thing. You would have to be delusional to think the likes of wolves, sm and adl city have a chance under the current model.

Not necessarily.....

Costs in running a business are generally broken down between Fixed & Variable costs ... the Fixed costs don't change that much, and Variable costs change in relation to size.

We can assume in the existing media deal FFA have covered all their fixed costs meaning all new revenue can go to the teams... another screaming reason to expand...

Consider Fox have paid 50 million for 10 teams so 5 million per teams, the same rate thats 5 million per team that can be spent on the team by FFA which is more than they currently do.... Take 10 & 9 largely without sport we have say 4 games available for FTA [ie 10 deal is for only two years]. Assume 5 million per game thats another 20 million less the 4 million 10 currently pay. So an additional 16 million or one million per team.. 

FFA claim they spent with travel and wages 4.8 million per team, add one million to this and its close to the 6 million the clubs want.... 

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

MarkfromCroydon - 30 Apr 2018 1:40 PM
I don't think you understand how big a deal it is for the team11 bid to have the local council gifting them the land and Gerry Ryan on board.These moves have pretty much sealed the deal that this WILL be one of the bids that is accepted.Already investors are trying to get on board.

Pretty much is not actually.

Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend

This looks brilliant! 
P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro

Midfielder - 30 Apr 2018 3:17 PM

Not necessarily.....

Costs in running a business are generally broken down between Fixed & Variable costs ... the Fixed costs don't change that much, and Variable costs change in relation to size.

We can assume in the existing media deal FFA have covered all their fixed costs meaning all new revenue can go to the teams... another screaming reason to expand...

Consider Fox have paid 50 million for 10 teams so 5 million per teams, the same rate thats 5 million per team that can be spent on the team by FFA which is more than they currently do.... Take 10 & 9 largely without sport we have say 4 games available for FTA [ie 10 deal is for only two years]. Assume 5 million per game thats another 20 million less the 4 million 10 currently pay. So an additional 16 million or one million per team.. 

FFA claim they spent with travel and wages 4.8 million per team, add one million to this and its close to the 6 million the clubs want.... 

Image result for magic money trick animated gif

Closed HAL is failing with 10 teams
Closed HAL failed with 11
FFA forced to try a 12 team Closed HAL thatll just create 2 more mid table also-rans
and still this weird 16-team panacea gets trotted out. 
Theres a sticky for this nonsense
https://forum.insidesport.com.au/1617388/The-Aleague-Expansion-Thread

Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend

12 teams is not enough, if the iron is white hot we need to move to 14 teams quickly.

2 in 2019/20 and 2 in the following season or after that.
redsfan
redsfan
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

Will they be crowd pullers interstate? Unlikely
Will they command top tier tv ratings? Also unlikely.

Of course this shouldnt matter but since everything is about metrics these things fo go into consideration.

Adelaide united v dandenong doesnt exactly wet the appetite.

I'd more likely do a weekend or holiday away down mornington peninsula with the missus/family and attend a AUFC v dandenong match than a trip to Melbourne with or without the family to see either of the current Melbourne clubs.

Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Band aid solution to a gaping hole in the femoral artery.

Member since 2008.

Angus
Angus
Pro
Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)

Am I alone in wanting their name to stay as "Team 11" if they join the comp?
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend

Midfielder - 30 Apr 2018 3:17 PM

Not necessarily.....

All the new revenue can't go to the clubs.  A 12 team competition increases the number of games by 63 which increases all the FFA's variable costs for the likes of match officials, transport etc etc by about 45%.  A 14 team league of 2 rounds has less games than 12x3 rounds but the overall cost would increase due to the distribution to the extra clubs.

Fox hasn't paid $50m for the broadcast rights for the A-League either.  Currently the rights are worth $44m but that includes the rights for the Socceroos friendlies and the rights to the Matildas.  These rights are said to be worth $7m but that hasn't been confirmed.  The $37m left for the A-League includes contra of around $4m-$5m leaving cash of around $32m-$35m which only covers the existing distribution to the clubs..
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend

Munrubenmuz - 30 Apr 2018 4:13 PM
Band aid solution to a gaping hole in the femoral artery.

For which p/r is not the solution.
SEroos
SEroos
Super Fan
Super Fan (123 reputation)Super Fan (123 reputation)Super Fan (123 reputation)Super Fan (123 reputation)Super Fan (123 reputation)Super Fan (123 reputation)Super Fan (123 reputation)Super Fan (123 reputation)Super Fan (123 reputation)Super Fan (123 reputation)Super Fan (123 reputation)

Angus - 30 Apr 2018 4:22 PM
Am I alone in wanting their name to stay as "Team 11" if they join the comp?

yes
Muz
Muz
Legend

Gyfox - 30 Apr 2018 4:24 PM
Munrubenmuz - 30 Apr 2018 4:13 PM

For which p/r is not the solution.

Maybe, maybe not.  But what about we start with a 2nd division and a promotion only system for the first X amount of years (promotion dependent on ducks in a row) and go from there?

Member since 2008.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search