National second division format announce! Expressions of interest due within a month

National second division format announce! Expressions of interest due...

Author
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
bohemia - 9 Mar 2023 1:45 AM

Overriding all of this, there's also the consideration that whichever club I go out to support, it has to just have the passion and play the game in a way I find identifiable. I loved the mungrel of the early AU sides and how they wouldn't take a step back to sides like Sydney FC (albeit, bent over and took it fkn proper from Melbourne in those days). 

You'd be hard pressed, surely, to have a problem with the fighting spirit we have shown the last couple seasons played predominantly by young South Aussies etc 

We have played with mongrel while playing attacking football to win for the most part. I've enjoyed the last season and a half more than any in many many years
bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)

Davide82 - 10 Mar 2023 10:01 AM
bohemia - 9 Mar 2023 1:45 AM

You'd be hard pressed, surely, to have a problem with the fighting spirit we have shown the last couple seasons played predominantly by young South Aussies etc 

We have played with mongrel while playing attacking football to win for the most part. I've enjoyed the last season and a half more than any in many many years

Sadly, haven't seen it. Keeping track when living abroad is hard enough, but I just fell away from AL after the incremental bs we were being force fed. The final straw was the unbalanced fixturing. Just shamelessly saying they're going the eggball route and never coming back. I don't check scores on flashscore, I unfollowed all AL on SM, just done.I don't have anything against AU per se. A lively NSD breathing new life into football could rekindle my interest in AU if the NSD manages a critical aim (in my mind) of keeping the AL fucking honest for the first time in 10+ years. I'd probably wind up lightly following both city/AU because it's my home town. Just want Adelaide boys getting a chance to play the game, so who can argue with having twice the spots for them?
Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

bohemia - 10 Mar 2023 10:26 AM
Davide82 - 10 Mar 2023 10:01 AM

Sadly, haven't seen it. Keeping track when living abroad is hard enough, but I just fell away from AL after the incremental bs we were being force fed. The final straw was the unbalanced fixturing. Just shamelessly saying they're going the eggball route and never coming back. I don't check scores on flashscore, I unfollowed all AL on SM, just done.I don't have anything against AU per se. A lively NSD breathing new life into football could rekindle my interest in AU if the NSD manages a critical aim (in my mind) of keeping the AL fucking honest for the first time in 10+ years. I'd probably wind up lightly following both city/AU because it's my home town. Just want Adelaide boys getting a chance to play the game, so who can argue with having twice the spots for them?

yeah that's a shame. I doubt I'd still be following that closely after all the shit shows of the last 10+ years if I didn't live here and love going to games etc
Totally agree btw
Butler99
Butler99
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

bohemia - 10 Mar 2023 1:16 AM
Butler99 - 9 Mar 2023 10:22 PM

The NSD is a positive thing and we have enough positive voices and energies to take it forward. So, you're negative. Cool. this is the direction we're moving in anyway...

32 clubs put their name forward. Let's focus on one who didn't......................................................................... yeahnah

Not negative about the concept. 
I think we all want it to succeed. 

Pretty much just questioning the viability of the expectations put on the club's to get this up and running. 
$2M + per year???

There's hope and there is wishful thinking for these clubs. 

I think most of them fall into the category of wishful thinking that these figures are workable. 

Why are these financial figures "set in stone"? 
Is it setup to ensure a full league doesn't get off the ground?
Is JJ just paying lip service?
Does FA really want a full blown second tier of football?

Questions are being asked. 
It's not negativity. 
Time will tell. 

But don't think we do not want this to happen. 

bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)

Butler99 - 10 Mar 2023 5:55 PM
bohemia - 10 Mar 2023 1:16 AM

Not negative about the concept. 
I think we all want it to succeed. 

Pretty much just questioning the viability of the expectations put on the club's to get this up and running. 
$2M + per year???

There's hope and there is wishful thinking for these clubs. 

I think most of them fall into the category of wishful thinking that these figures are workable. 

Questions are being asked. 
It's not negativity. 
Time will tell. 

But don't think we do not want this to happen. 

A coffee shop turns over 2 million selling brunch.

What's 2 million these days in Australia, 20 bus driver salaries?
Butler99
Butler99
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

bohemia - 10 Mar 2023 7:27 PM

A coffee shop turns over 2 million selling brunch.

What's 2 million these days in Australia, 20 bus driver salaries?

There's plenty more people at the local cafe on Sunday mornings than watching NPL football on Sunday evening. 

And I don't think that will change much with a new second tier football comp. 

What did Avondale spend on football department from that infamous spreadsheet??
$500k??

Would any club spend anymore today in NPL land??

The FA expects all clubs to spend at least $1M on players ? 
Do we have 8/10/12 clubs capable of sustaining this??
bohemia
bohemia
World Class

Butler99 - 10 Mar 2023 8:23 PM
bohemia - 10 Mar 2023 7:27 PM

There's plenty more people at the local cafe on Sunday mornings than watching NPL football on Sunday evening. 

And I don't think that will change much with a new second tier football comp. 

What did Avondale spend on football department from that infamous spreadsheet??
$500k??

Would any club spend anymore today in NPL land??

The FA expects all clubs to spend at least $1M on players ? 
Do we have 8/10/12 clubs capable of sustaining this??

Around 2017, there was a bit of a moan in NSW NPL that a few clubs were paying around 450-500k on their wage bill. If the final number is 10 clubs for NSD, a good chunk of those will be looking at how to stretch and bridge the gap, certainly not be looking at it from $0 trying to find 2 million.

Cheers for finding another negative btw. Maybe by Sunday we can start debating the real issues such as their choice of socks which is a potential red flag and clear evidence that we shouldn't do anything, anywhere, ever.
Edited
Last Year by bohemia
Butler99
Butler99
Semi-Pro

bohemia - 10 Mar 2023 8:32 PM
Butler99 - 10 Mar 2023 8:23 PM

Around 2017, there was a bit of a moan in NSW NPL that a few clubs were paying around 450-500k on their wage bill. If the final number is 10 clubs for NSD, a good chunk of those will be looking at how to stretch and bridge the gap, certainly not be looking at it from $0 trying to find 2 million.

Cheers for finding another negative btw. Maybe by Sunday we can start debating the real issues such as their choice of socks which is a clear red flag.

You equate Questioning the financial viability of clubs to meet FAs demands with choice of socks? Nice. 

There's nothing derogatory about these concerns. 
I think I'm raising reasonable questions.
Just trying to work out which clubs can make it work? And how. 
I'd rather the FAs expectations reduced to ensure viability. 

Why do you seem offended?
Edited
Last Year by Butler99
bohemia
bohemia
World Class

Butler99 - 10 Mar 2023 8:38 PM
bohemia - 10 Mar 2023 8:32 PM

You equate Questioning the financial viability of clubs to meet FAs demands with choice of socks? Nice. 

There's nothing derogatory about these concerns. 
I think I'm asking raising reasonable questions. 
I'd rather the FAs expectations reduced to ensure viability. 

Why do you seem offended?

Why are you avoiding the issue of the players socks. We only have one shot at a NSD and we need to get it right.
Edited
Last Year by bohemia
Butler99
Butler99
Semi-Pro

bohemia - 10 Mar 2023 8:54 PM
Butler99 - 10 Mar 2023 8:38 PM

Why are you avoiding the issue of the players socks. We only have one shot at a NSD and we need to get it right.

Agreed. 
So how are clubs going to come up with the funds to become sustainable according to the touted figures?? 

Legitimate concern. 
bohemia
bohemia
World Class

Butler99 - 10 Mar 2023 8:57 PM

Agreed. 
So how are clubs going to come up with the funds to become sustainable according to the touted figures?? 

Legitimate concern. 

During the EOI phase, the clubs get access to the financial modeling.

I can't wait to hear from the positive people for their perspective. They are, afterall, the only people who actually build the things around us.

I've already heard from the negative people. Turns out you can't do anything, ever. Inspiring stuff.
Edited
Last Year by bohemia
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

not surprised at the negativity, we have never had a 2nd division and barely have a working 1st division, Fair enough

but I am surprised about the confident negativity

no one knows what these clubs can handle but the clubs and the fa. I'm hoping for 16 with a bunch of teams on standby for p and r
Squidley
Squidley
Super Fan
Super Fan (151 reputation)Super Fan (151 reputation)Super Fan (151 reputation)Super Fan (151 reputation)Super Fan (151 reputation)Super Fan (151 reputation)Super Fan (151 reputation)Super Fan (151 reputation)Super Fan (151 reputation)Super Fan (151 reputation)Super Fan (151 reputation)

I'll be shocked if the Cronulla Sharks bid doesnt get through.to win a spot in the NST. 

You would imagine a stadium deal is part of the agreement, as well as some financial backing. 

Would be one of, if not the, frontrunner. 
Squidley
Squidley
Super Fan
Super Fan (151 reputation)Super Fan (151 reputation)Super Fan (151 reputation)Super Fan (151 reputation)Super Fan (151 reputation)Super Fan (151 reputation)Super Fan (151 reputation)Super Fan (151 reputation)Super Fan (151 reputation)Super Fan (151 reputation)Super Fan (151 reputation)

Is there any mention of what time of the year the NST will take place? If its a true NST it will have to run over summer, parallel to the A-league wouldnt it?

If there is any hope of Pro/rel the leagues at least need to match up timing wise. Complete circus if it doesnt. 
bohemia
bohemia
World Class

Squidley - 10 Mar 2023 11:22 PM
I'll be shocked if the Cronulla Sharks bid doesnt get through.to win a spot in the NST. 

You would imagine a stadium deal is part of the agreement, as well as some financial backing. 

Would be one of, if not the, frontrunner. 

JJ really nailed it. It's a pleasant surprise. This is something to expect when you gothrough the EOI process. There's this idea of where you expect the strong bids to come from, but there's the potential that one you've never heard of to shoot to the front. A lot will of course come out in the details about whether the bid is sound or not. But as you say, you've got two up front positives: backing and ground, that's at the very least a good start. With that bedded down, it's kind of up for the Sutho bid to shoot themselves in the foot after that.
bohemia
bohemia
World Class

Squidley - 10 Mar 2023 11:23 PM
Is there any mention of what time of the year the NST will take place? If its a true NST it will have to run over summer, parallel to the A-league wouldnt it?

If there is any hope of Pro/rel the leagues at least need to match up timing wise. Complete circus if it doesnt. 

March 2024 start mooted
Squidley
Squidley
Super Fan

bohemia - 10 Mar 2023 11:26 PM
[quote]
Squidley - 10 Mar 2023 11:23 PM

March 2024 start mooted

In all honesty i can actually see the A-league being the one that moves to winter to tie in line with the "Pyramid" 

Makes absolutely zero sense, apart from the A-league running scared from the AFL and the NRL, to continue in summer. 
PGR
PGR
Amateur
Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)

Squidley - 10 Mar 2023 11:31 PM
bohemia - 10 Mar 2023 11:26 PM

In all honesty i can actually see the A-league being the one that moves to winter to tie in line with the "Pyramid" 

Makes absolutely zero sense, apart from the A-league running scared from the AFL and the NRL, to continue in summer. 

There won't be pyramid in a long, long time.
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

Butler99 - 10 Mar 2023 8:57 PM

Agreed. 

Legitimate concern. 

Same way most clubs do it. Investment from owners. Sponsorship money. Membership sales. Merch sales. Broadcast related revenue. Transfer/loan fees (we need a proper transfer system in this county). That's just the football side of things. Then there are social clubs, many of which are highly lucrative and could stand alone without the football club, especially the ones that have pokies. Clubs that own their venue may rent it out for special events, especially the ones that have proper function rooms. These are just a few things off the top of my head. Many of these clubs survived having their league abolished and yet are still fine. I'm sure some of the applicants won't be able to meet financial requirements right now, but that is why the FA are going through the tender process. Remember both Sth Melbourne and Wollongong had a genuine crack at aleague expansion and made the final shortlists, which had way higher financial requirements than the proposed NST will have. A bunch of the clubs on that list are in a very similar shape to SM and Wolves. The rumoured financial requirements are very reasonable for a league that is to sit between the NPL and the AL. 
libelous
libelous
Rising Star
Rising Star (944 reputation)Rising Star (944 reputation)Rising Star (944 reputation)Rising Star (944 reputation)Rising Star (944 reputation)Rising Star (944 reputation)Rising Star (944 reputation)Rising Star (944 reputation)Rising Star (944 reputation)Rising Star (944 reputation)Rising Star (944 reputation)

PGR - 11 Mar 2023 12:42 AM

There you go with your negativity again Paul. Let the thing get going and see what happens from there on in, as others have said if we don’t try we will never know.
Flytox
Flytox
Hacker
Hacker (437 reputation)Hacker (437 reputation)Hacker (437 reputation)Hacker (437 reputation)Hacker (437 reputation)Hacker (437 reputation)Hacker (437 reputation)Hacker (437 reputation)Hacker (437 reputation)Hacker (437 reputation)Hacker (437 reputation)

We already have a pyramid.  It just doesn't have P/R in all of it.
doloras
doloras
Super Fan
Super Fan (102 reputation)Super Fan (102 reputation)Super Fan (102 reputation)Super Fan (102 reputation)Super Fan (102 reputation)Super Fan (102 reputation)Super Fan (102 reputation)Super Fan (102 reputation)Super Fan (102 reputation)Super Fan (102 reputation)Super Fan (102 reputation)

I don't think anyone has a problem with questioning whether this model is financially sustainable. But conspiracy theory stuff like this - the idea that FA are deliberately "rigging" it so it fails - doesn't help.

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

So good seeing some posters calling out the negative and one at times the smug one.
True the financials for some clubs will be a struggle that what  the process is in finding and confirming those that are viable to start and others who are not will know what they need for the future.
This is the next big thing to occur in our game get bloody behind it instead finding the holes - that’s the FA’s job wouldn’t you think ffs.

Love Football

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

And Squidly, no I doubt AL will change to winter they can have the summer comp besides NST will be that’s sure with the rest of community football as currently is.

Love Football

Squidley
Squidley
Super Fan

LFC. - 11 Mar 2023 1:24 PM
And Squidly, no I doubt AL will change to winter they can have the summer comp besides NST will be that’s sure with the rest of community football as currently is.

So how would Pro/Rel work then??

There absolutely needs to be Pro/Rel for an NST to be even remotely worthwhile. 

Better off having the entire football landscape from top to bottom being played in Winter. Makes everything so much more sustainable. 

I honestly think the crowds wouldnt be affected that much. Going form 5k to 4k isnt that big of a deal. 
Flytox
Flytox
Hacker
Hacker (437 reputation)Hacker (437 reputation)Hacker (437 reputation)Hacker (437 reputation)Hacker (437 reputation)Hacker (437 reputation)Hacker (437 reputation)Hacker (437 reputation)Hacker (437 reputation)Hacker (437 reputation)Hacker (437 reputation)

Squidley - 11 Mar 2023 9:29 PM
LFC. - 11 Mar 2023 1:24 PM

So how would Pro/Rel work then??

There absolutely needs to be Pro/Rel for an NST to be even remotely worthwhile. 

Better off having the entire football landscape from top to bottom being played in Winter. Makes everything so much more sustainable. 

I honestly think the crowds wouldnt be affected that much. Going form 5k to 4k isnt that big of a deal. 

NST is worthwhile on the basis that more young players will be playing at a higher standard of football than currently and they will be training and playing in a professional environment.  Hopefully they will be playing more games than they are now also.  

I think that getting P/R between the NST and the NPL can wait 2 or 3 years to get the NST bedded down.  Getting the Domestic Transfer System operating across the whole of the pyramid is a higher priority than anything else in my view.  Getting talented players moving up the pyramid by transfer gives us a lot of the benefit of having a connected pyramid.  Of course P/R including with the ALM is the ideal but I can't see that happening as quickly as some might want.
Edited
Last Year by Flytox
bohemia
bohemia
World Class

Flytox - 11 Mar 2023 9:59 PM
Squidley - 11 Mar 2023 9:29 PM

NST is worthwhile on the basis that more young players will be playing at a higher standard of football than currently and they will be training and playing in a professional environment.  Hopefully they will be playing more games than they are now also.  

I think that getting P/R between the NST and the NPL can wait 2 or 3 years to get the NST bedded down.  Getting the Domestic Transfer System operating across the whole of the pyramid is a higher priority than anything else in my view.  Getting talented players moving up the pyramid by transfer gives us a lot of the benefit of having a connected pyramid.  Of course P/R including with the ALM is the ideal but I can't see that happening as quickly as some might want.

I'm not all that against waiting it out until 2034 to give the current AL clubs the full value of their license. They made the investment and like it or not, they're the reason we have professional footballers at the moment. The key is to give a hard date for everyone to work towards. If the AL clubs get to that point and haven't even done the simple things like started a revenue producing social club to subsidise their operations, then that's their problem. So why not lock in 2034, and if the majority are ready ealier, then bring it in. And if they're not ready in time, they were warned and it's their problem.

PGR
PGR
Amateur
Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)

Flytox - 11 Mar 2023 11:46 AM

We already have a pyramid.  It just doesn't have P/R in all of it.

A pyramid has to be connected at all levels. One level influences the other from top to bottom.

Without full P&R, the pyramid can never be complete because there is a disconnect. That's how I see it and what I meant.
Edited
Last Year by PGR
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Bentleigh have put their hand up. They have a tiny stadium with a small fan base so not sure how they'll go 
numklpkgulftumch
numklpkgulftumch
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)

bohemia - 11 Mar 2023 10:16 PM
Flytox - 11 Mar 2023 9:59 PM

I'm not all that against waiting it out until 2034 to give the current AL clubs the full value of their license. They made the investment and like it or not, they're the reason we have professional footballers at the moment. The key is to give a hard date for everyone to work towards. If the AL clubs get to that point and haven't even done the simple things like started a revenue producing social club to subsidise their operations, then that's their problem. So why not lock in 2034, and if the majority are ready ealier, then bring it in. And if they're not ready in time, they were warned and it's their problem.

Licenses will no doubt get extended again long before then

And how many times does it need to be stated that the Licenses allow for P/R

2034 is a Hoax

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search