Religion

Religion

Author
mk0825
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
God isnt real.
Glenn - A-league Mad
Glenn - A-league Mad
World Class
World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Also "I cant belive its not butter" isnt real.

Does anyone else belive in the flying spagetti monster as our god?
martyB
martyB
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

mk0825 wrote:
God isnt real.
To you he isn't.

Someone who says they believe God is real is just as correct as you saying he isn't mk. In saying that, whether God is actually real is irrelevant. One's belief is what's relevant.
PazzaInter
PazzaInter
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Is there anyone out there who reckons they have spoken to God? If so, how did you do it and what did he say? I had a few RE teachers in school who thought they had spoken to God.
mk0825
mk0825
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

To me the idea of 'God' is absolutely insane. Absolutely ridiculous. I do not see how a mentally stable person, not born into a family of believers, could ever adopt a religion. I dont see why people need to have a list of rules and regualtions to make their lives better. Can they not just take the best bits, the bits they truly believe in, to follow? Why do they need the label of 'christian' or whatever? How come they cant dispute anything they have chosen to believe? So many questions.

And someone who says god is real is nowhere near as 'correct' as a person saying god is an imaginary friend. :P
Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

mk0825 wrote:
To me the idea of 'God' is absolutely insane. Absolutely ridiculous. I do not see how a mentally stable person, not born into a family of believers, could ever adopt a religion. I dont see why people need to have a list of rules and regualtions to make their lives better. Can they not just take the best bits, the bits they truly believe in, to follow? Why do they need the label of 'christian' or whatever? How come they cant dispute anything they have chosen to believe? So many questions.

And someone who says god is real is nowhere near as 'correct' as a person saying god is an imaginary friend. :P

So basically what you're saying is, It's ridiculous that someone believes differently to you?. You have a set of beliefs, just like any other person. Some people chose to believe in god, and the ways of life that he has set. How is it that hard to get?
mk0825
mk0825
Legend

Funky Munky wrote:
mk0825 wrote:

So basically what you're saying is, It's ridiculous that someone believes differently to you?. You have a set of beliefs, just like any other person. Some people chose to believe in god, and the ways of life that he has set. How is it that hard to get?

Its not that they dont believe what i do. Its that they believe this tripe.

I dont have a set of beliefs. Why would i restrict myself by placing rules and regulations on my life? Thatd be silly.

Its 'hard to get' because i find some people are siding with a fictional creator of the universe, and a cosmic jewish zombie, rather than siding with rationality.

PazzaInter
PazzaInter
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

I don't believe in God but I live my life by (most of) the principles of the Bible.
Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

mk0825 wrote:
Funky Munky wrote:
mk0825 wrote:

Its not that they dont believe what i do. Its that they believe this tripe.

I dont have a set of beliefs. Why would i restrict myself by placing rules and regulations on my life? Thatd be silly.

Its 'hard to get' because i find some people are siding with a fictional creator of the universe, and a cosmic jewish zombie, rather than siding with rationality.

How is it tripe? Who says god is fictional? You can believe that if you want, and you obviously do. But to criticise others for believing differently is bullshit, and absolutely pathetic.

You do have a set of beliefs. Everyone does. You believe that God is not real. Some people believe that god is real. Believing in a religion is not setting rules and regulations on your own life, its living your life the way you see fit. If someone believes the right way to live life is the christian way, how is it silly?
Chilugal
Chilugal
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (270 reputation)Hardcore Fan (270 reputation)Hardcore Fan (270 reputation)Hardcore Fan (270 reputation)Hardcore Fan (270 reputation)Hardcore Fan (270 reputation)Hardcore Fan (270 reputation)Hardcore Fan (270 reputation)Hardcore Fan (270 reputation)Hardcore Fan (270 reputation)Hardcore Fan (270 reputation)

mk0825 wrote:
I dont see why people need to have a list of rules and regualtions to make their lives better.

But the human race need rules and regulations. That's why nations are governed by laws, and the laws used in western cultures were historically heavily influenced by Biblical laws.

mk0825 wrote:
Can they not just take the best bits, the bits they truly believe in, to follow?

Many people do this already. I personally choose not to.

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

mk0825 wrote:
Why do they need the label of 'christian' or whatever?

Christian simply means Follower of Christ. I'm also an Australian - we label groups of people who share a common factor, that's just what we do. But yes "Christian" is too generic these days, people will call themselves Christian because they did some religious ritual but not necessarily because they follow the teachings of Jesus Christ. That's why you might hear people label themselves as Bible Believing Christians or Born Again Christians to be more specific.

mk0825 wrote:
How come they cant dispute anything they have chosen to believe? So many questions.

What disputes in particular? I'll do my best to answer something that has been missed, then again, I do ignore a lot of the comments - such as the spaghetti monster one.

mk0825 wrote:
I dont have a set of beliefs.
???????????? It's impossible to believe nothing. Do you at least believe you don't have a set of beliefs?
martyB
martyB
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Quote:
I dont see why people need to have a list of rules and regualtions to make their lives better
Yet you live by the laws of the state of Victoria and the Commonwealth of Australia...
mk0825
mk0825
Legend

martyB wrote:
Quote:
I dont see why people need to have a list of rules and regualtions to make their lives better
Yet you live by the laws of the state of Victoria and the Commonwealth of Australia...

I dont stack more Rules and regs on top of these though. And these laws do actually make for a better life. I was also born into this cult.

Just. How do you believe in a ghost? When will you have thanked god enough to get over him?
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend
Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)

Quote:
Is there anyone out there who reckons they have spoken to God? If so, how did you do it and what did he say? I had a few RE teachers in school who thought they had spoken to God.

I get in trouble for talking to myself...the people on the train give me funny looks.
Quote:

You don't abide by laws? You don't follow the rules when you play football?? You abide by rules whether you like it or not. Religion is simply an extension of this.
Quote:
Christian simply means Follower of Christ. I'm also an Australian

Ya see?? I told you it was possible to follow Australs!!!!
Quote:
Born Again Christians

Funniest three words in the english language.

mk - It's one thing to question percieved faults in a religion, but to attack personal beliefs continually is a bit below the belt.

Essentlaiiy, what religion boils down to is thus:
Christianity - Those wholesome television shows at 4am, Elimination of witches, Making sex dirty ;)
Islam - Fatwahs, Jihad, Rioting in the streets, A kind of bean pie which I hear is delicious.
Hinduism - The most awesome pantheon EVER, Reincarnation...I'm thinking i'll come back as something blood-sucking.
Buddhism - The only Deity whose belly can be rubbed for luck, and not killing people as a religious observance.
Norse Mythology - Ymir suckled on the great cow, Audhumbla was killed by Odin and his body formed the earth...his eyebrows became Migard, the home of men. (I Love this bit) Odin formed an Ash tree into the first man, Aske, and an Elm tree into A woman Embla, and endowed them with souls (Sound familiar chrsitians??).

Conculsion: Norse Mythology is by far the superior religion since it is so much more awesome but Christianity borrows so heavily off it.
mk0825
mk0825
Legend

afromanGT wrote:
Christianity - Those wholesome television shows at 4am, Elimination of witches, Making sex dirty ;)
Islam - Fatwahs, Jihad, Rioting in the streets, A kind of bean pie which I hear is delicious.
Hinduism - The most awesome pantheon EVER, Reincarnation...I'm thinking i'll come back as something blood-sucking.
Buddhism - The only Deity whose belly can be rubbed for luck, and not killing people as a religious observance.
Norse Mythology - Ymir suckled on the great cow, Audhumbla was killed by Odin and his body formed the earth...his eyebrows became Migard, the home of men. (I Love this bit) Odin formed an Ash tree into the first man, Aske, and an Elm tree into A woman Embla, and endowed them with souls (Sound familiar chrsitians??).

Conculsion: Norse Mythology is by far the superior religion since it is so much more awesome but Christianity borrows so heavily off it.

Conclusion: Same shit different smell.
Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend

mk0825 wrote:
afromanGT wrote:

Conclusion: Same shit different smell.

Pretty much. Tis why its better to create your own. Me and a Mate created the Jell Baby Buddha Religion. Dedicated an episode of our radio show to it, had over 80 followers.
leftrightout
leftrightout
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Quote:
Pretty much. Tis why its better to create your own. Me and a Mate created the Jell Baby Buddha Religion. Dedicated an episode of our radio show to it, had over 80 followers.

Someone once told me that when the census came around last a a lot of people put in 'Jedi' as their religion and now it's an official government statistic that Jedi is a religion in Australia.
Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend

leftrightout wrote:
Quote:

Someone once told me that when the census came around last a a lot of people put in 'Jedi' as their religion and now it's an official government statistic that Jedi is a religion in Australia.

That was our plan, but I don't think we got enough people, plus we never really followed through with it after that week. Could be worse...Read an article last week about a uni somewhere making an official Jedi course.
mk0825
mk0825
Legend

Erebus probably started it.
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend
Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)

Quote:
That was our plan, but I don't think we got enough people, plus we never really followed through with it after that week. Could be worse...Read an article last week about a uni somewhere making an official Jedi course.

To be considered a religion you must have a minimum of 10,000 acknowledged followers.
AS for the Jedi course...that's rediculous. George Lucas must be pissing himself.
Nico
Nico
World Class
World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)

Anyone studied religion? In particular Roman and/or Minoan religion? Their my bad parts of ancient history hsc course. I just basically ignore religion... I remember Isis cause they are a wicked band :p
Chilugal
Chilugal
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (270 reputation)Hardcore Fan (270 reputation)Hardcore Fan (270 reputation)Hardcore Fan (270 reputation)Hardcore Fan (270 reputation)Hardcore Fan (270 reputation)Hardcore Fan (270 reputation)Hardcore Fan (270 reputation)Hardcore Fan (270 reputation)Hardcore Fan (270 reputation)Hardcore Fan (270 reputation)

leftrightout wrote:
anyone watch the video's yet??

what do you think?

*bump* lol

I just want address leftrightout on this topic. Firstly thanks for bringing up these "former messiahs", it's an area I hadn't looked into before so it's been beneficial. The more I look into it, the more foolish these claims are.

By the way, this isn't directly aimed at leftrightout - you've been deceived into believing some of the latest propaganda against Christianity. Let's look at Horus, 2 unbiased websites I visited outlining his myth/story:

http://menic.utexas.edu/cairo/teachers/osiris.pdf

http://layson.multiply.com/photos/album/147/The_Story_of_Horus

Please read - there is absolutely no similarities between Horus & Jesus - unfortunately you've been lied to, there's no other way to say that. The second link there is more detailed and it's a rather sexually perverted story.

I won't go into detail here, but if you want to look into it more I suggest these three sites:

http://www.infidels.org/library/historical/kersey_graves/16/
(non-christian website, they hate Christianity but even they agree these "former messiah" stories are lies)

http://members.optusnet.com.au/gakuseidon/God_Who_Wasnt_There_analysis_Part1.htm#Introduction
(A Non-Christian website)

http://www.tektonics.org/copycat/osy.html
(Christian website)

I suppose the real lesson here is to not believe everything you watch on youtube. But most of us should be smart enough to figure that out. Personal research > Youtube.

One disturbing thing I came across while looking at this topic. There is a movement/fad where people are being encouraged to deny Jesus and God exists. And a lot of this is being fueled by the "former messiah" stories. Check this out: http://www.blasphemychallenge.com/

Reminds me of this Bible verse:

2 John 1:7 For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist.

afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend

Quote:
Anyone studied religion? In particular Roman and/or Minoan religion?

Slightly different things there.
Quote:
Please read - there is absolutely no similarities between Horus & Jesus

I'm a little confused by this, Jesus (Joshua in the hebrew faith, or Isa in the Muslim faith) did, no-doubt actually exist and have some kind of standing in the community (be it positive or negative), but to say he is a figment of Egyption Mythology born of beliefs circa 5,000 years BEFORE Jesus existed is a little nuts. Not to mention there are no connections between the parables.
leftrightout
leftrightout
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Chilugal, while I admire your faith, my aim was not to change your faith but to remind you that anything that is controlled by FEAR is wrong (did you watch the whole doco? That was only part 1 that I posted). There is no such thing as hell. That my friend is a fact. When I bring my child into this world they will know no fear such as this only LOVE. Love conquers all. In the purest form it has nothing to do with Jesus. And this video wasn't released on youtube officially, some user copied it and posted it there.

The trouble with the internet is that anyone can create a website and call themselves experts.

And not trying to come across as cynical but I suppose you believe that dinosaur bones were put on earth by the devil fool us that he doesn't exist?

Edited by leftrightout: 21/10/2008 12:01:29 PM
leftrightout
leftrightout
Pro

afromanGT wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

I'm a little confused by this, Jesus (Joshua in the hebrew faith, or Isa in the Muslim faith) did, no-doubt actually exist and have some kind of standing in the community (be it positive or negative), but to say he is a figment of Egyption Mythology born of beliefs circa 5,000 years BEFORE Jesus existed is a little nuts. Not to mention there are no connections between the parables.

Afro, where is the physical evidence that Jesus in fact did exist?
Fredsta
Fredsta
Legend

leftrightout wrote:
afromanGT wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

I cant be fucked finding it but there is evidence that he existed as a person and that he was crucified it was found in Roman records wether or not he was the son of God is another thing and wether the miracles he performed happened or not. Also the Muslims acknowledge that he existed and they think he was a prophet of God's but not his son. I am Catholic in the extent that my family is and I go to a Catholic school I don't know what I believe and I don't dispute the fact that dinosaurs were real and all that but I don't think it is right for people to try and shoot down some ones beliefs. I dont care if you are trying to show someone the errors of their beliefs but that is what they believe and it is what you believe. You and they have chosen to beilieve these things. How would you like it if someone was trying to show you how you were adopted and how your wife was cheating on you?
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend

Quote:

You can't say he is simply a figment of a religion when he is accepted as having existed by three entirely different religions. As soon as you find implicit evidence of someone else from that time having existed (someone not loaded to the teeth and of royal lineage)...then, we shall have this argment.
Quote:
There is no such thing as hell.

It's actually quite a nice place.
Quote:
When I bring my child into this world they will know no fear such as this only LOVE. Love conquers all.

The 60's are <-THAT way champ.
Quote:
And not trying to come across as cynical but I suppose you believe that dinosaur bones where put on earth by the devil fool us that he doesn't exist?

That must be it...because it couldn't have been the purple tapioca hamster.

Edited by afromanGT: 18/10/2008 12:10:39 PM
Nico
Nico
World Class
World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)

afromanGT wrote:
Quote:

How bad do you think I am? :lol:

There is a huge difference. I need to know Roman religion for Pompeii and Herculaneum, and Minoan religion, for er, Minoan Crete.
Fredsta
Fredsta
Legend

PazzaInter wrote:

We had this Maltese bloke working at my school he was studying to become a priest and he sings Christian songs apparently he is a massive celebrity in malta and he sang a song with guy Sebastian at WYD. Any way he said he was a real bad ass at school always getting into trouble and he didnt care about it and then he became a serial liar and he told tons of lies and he spread all these rumors about the leader of a gang and this guy hunted him for six months and the leader found his best mate and tortured him to within and inch of his life. And the Maltese bloke was falling out with his family and was basicaly a complete loser and had fucked up his life and one day he just sat there and he was I might add a Catholic but he was doubting it all and only in it because he was born into it. He pulled up two chairs and he sat on one and imagined God was in the other and he just began to talk to this chair and he realized how much of a stuff up he was and he decided he would go back to school and study again and before his final exam he hadn't done it for ages but he did this night and pulled up his chair and the other one for God, he was struggling with his study and he broke down and started chatting to God and he says after a while something inside him told him to flick to this random page in a book. He did and in it was everything he needed to pass the exam. he aced the test and claims it was God who spoke to him wether or not it was or if you just imagine you are talking to God he says you will find the answers.

Don't know if I believe it was God but one of my tecahers who is one of the few non catholic ones at my school had a stroke and was on the opearting tbale and apparently they "lost" her and she claims to have seen the light and her deceased mother saying "not yet, youre not ready" or something along the lines of that and then next thing she knows she is awake.
I find that interesting but I don't know if I believe it
leftrightout
leftrightout
Pro

There is no argument, there are three versions though...version 1 Jesus existed, version 2 Jesus did not exist and version 3 the truth. Once you have examined both version 1,2 it'll bring you a little closer to 3. I have an opinion at the same time I chose not to believe everything I read or hear I like to reserve an open mind. The world simply ain't black and white.

Oh yeah an afro, you are a very good comedian...

That Hell thing had me :lol:

Edited by leftrightout: 18/10/2008 12:18:01 PM
Fredsta
Fredsta
Legend

afromanGT wrote:
Quote:

[quote]
You can't say he is simply a figment of a religion when he is accepted as having existed by three entirely different religions. As soon as you find implicit evidence of someone else from that time having existed (someone not loaded to the teeth and of royal lineage)...then, we shall have this argment.

One thing is for certain he definately existed as Afro says three different religions all recognize this and then you have witness acounts and im not just talking disciples here there have been uncovered scrolls discussing him. And then you have the Roman records that indeed there was a Jesus who was arrested and Crucified.
Jesus was in the spotlight alot and there has been stuff dug up and records found where people talk about him. The fact that jesus existed should not be disputed, he obviously did it's wether or not he was the son of God

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search