The A-league Expansion Thread

The A-league Expansion Thread

Author
mouflonrouge
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
View from the fence - 17 Jan 2017 6:07 PM
mouflonrouge - 17 Jan 2017 6:04 PM

I'm against expansion

You want a league of only 10 teams? 
And Everyone Blamed Clive
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

mouflonrouge - 17 Jan 2017 6:54 PM
View from the fence - 17 Jan 2017 6:07 PM

You want a league of only 10 teams? 

12, 14 or 16 teams that can't get relegated is going to be just as boring. Maybe worse, more teams seasons will be over sooner

You can promote the winner of the 2nd Div if you want though

Winner of Official 442 Comment of the day Award -  10th April 2017

mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

View from the fence - 17 Jan 2017 6:59 PM
mouflonrouge - 17 Jan 2017 6:54 PM

12, 14 or 16 teams that can't get relegated is going to be just as boring. Maybe worse, more teams seasons will be over sooner

You can promote the winner of the 2nd Div if you want though

Yes as I said, i want the best of both worlds.

I want an expanded league, a second tier plus promotion and relegation between the 2 tiers, plus a play off every year between the Champions of all the NPLs for promotion into Tier 2, provided they have the resources. 

Gives everyone something to play for and something to aim at. 
Edited
7 Years Ago by mouflonrouge
Northbridge FC fans
Northbridge FC fans
Fan
Fan (70 reputation)Fan (70 reputation)Fan (70 reputation)Fan (70 reputation)Fan (70 reputation)Fan (70 reputation)Fan (70 reputation)Fan (70 reputation)Fan (70 reputation)Fan (70 reputation)Fan (70 reputation)

I mean fuck, if they wanted to expand and add promotion relegation they've already got an okay competition happening ATM called the NPL... winner of the NPL playoffs could get promoted to an expanded comp, plus travel costs are minimal as it's still essentially a state based league until playoffs.
kavorka
kavorka
Amateur
Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)

mouflonrouge - 17 Jan 2017 11:51 AM
southmelb - 15 Jan 2017 5:10 PM

Thank you very much for this insight South melbourne.

Most interesting and informative as opposed to the scare-mongering.

I remember the NSL days, and there were many positives. South Melbourne was one, along with Perth Glory and Adelaide United. It was on the cusp of major change.

The metamorphosis into the HAL has not been all it is cracked up to be. We have lost a lot of history. 

I felt this too....and the real blow was the failure to qualify for the 1998 WC when they drew with Iran 2-2. I was crushed, as I knew a golden opportunity was missed for the NSL. Had they qualified I have no doubt the NSL would still be around in some form and would have been like a hybrid version of the A league and NSL. We lost 7 years in development as a result of Iran coming back and drawing 2-2

southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

98 hurt, and even more so considering the group Iran got, we would have made it out of the group stage,
kavorka
kavorka
Amateur
Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)

southmelb - 17 Jan 2017 8:43 PM
98 hurt, and even more so considering the group Iran got, we would have made it out of the group stage,

people reckon 06 was the golden generation but to me, imho, this was the strongest australian squad ever....they would have carved it up.

fck that knt who ran on and ripped down the nets. 20 years later and i still want to track down and kill that mofo
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

mouflonrouge - 17 Jan 2017 7:04 PM

I want an expanded league, a second tier plus promotion and relegation between the 2 tiers, plus a play off every year between the Champions of all the NPLs for promotion into Tier 2, provided they have the resources. 

Don't need an expanded Top division.

Do need P&R

Davo1985
Davo1985
Pro
Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)

I think it's safe to say that everyone here would like that. The issue at hand however is making it vastly viable, especially for the clubs in the lower division. If a big club gets relegated, there needs to be a large enough parachute payment to cover the losses it will incur, and im not talking about the players on the field, im talking about all other aspects such as covering stadium rent which no doubt will be longer than year on year deals, not to mention the multiple dozens of staff that will also unlikely be on 12 month contracts.

The latest TV deal doesn't allow room for payments to setup a second division. Let's get to 14 teams asap and change the fixture setup to be a purely home and away schedule. This will help with repetitive fixture fatigue. Then after the next broadcast deal we can look at introducing a second division with the idea of pro/rele being introduced a few years after that. Perhaps initially promotion only to get the A-league up to 16 teams then introduce relegation. It can be accomplished in 10 years but not sooner imo.
aufc_ole
aufc_ole
World Class
World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)

Davo1985 - 18 Jan 2017 12:01 PM

I think it's safe to say that everyone here would like that. The issue at hand however is making it vastly viable, especially for the clubs in the lower division. If a big club gets relegated, there needs to be a large enough parachute payment to cover the losses it will incur, and im not talking about the players on the field, im talking about all other aspects such as covering stadium rent which no doubt will be longer than year on year deals, not to mention the multiple dozens of staff that will also unlikely be on 12 month contracts.

The latest TV deal doesn't allow room for payments to setup a second division. Let's get to 14 teams asap and change the fixture setup to be a purely home and away schedule. This will help with repetitive fixture fatigue. Then after the next broadcast deal we can look at introducing a second division with the idea of pro/rele being introduced a few years after that. Perhaps initially promotion only to get the A-league up to 16 teams then introduce relegation. It can be accomplished in 10 years but not sooner imo.

Yeah no way both Melbourne or Sydney teams would be relegated 
Monfries7
Monfries7
Under 7s
Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)

There's no way pro/rel should even be in discussion right now. 9 of the teams currently have a license for 20+ more years securing top flight football. Even after that period I don't see it as necessary. The argument that teams have no incentive to improve without relegation is an absolute cop out
HortoMagiko
HortoMagiko
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

Group: Banned Members

The "Theres no money" argument.
The money doesnt have to come from the tv deal. Its ffas job to secure investment.  If the tv deal that they were responsible for negotiating cant cover essential things like a 2nd divison, (which it can - ffa think its smart to piss the money against the wall with marquee sugar hit fund, among other things)  then they have to go above and beyond to keep us relevant and  compliant in world football. The "im sorry we are too inept to find money routine" has worn thin now especially in light of the fact that ledman who own the jets invest millions into portuguese league... theyre trying really hard to pretend theres no money out there. They can ask their pal martin lee to stump up the cash. 

The "in the magical 10 years" argument.
When japan korea and china decided to do it. They did it. And their naysayers said the same thing... in ten years... and theres no money. But their respective FAs deemed it necessary and the rest is history. We cant afford to wait 10 years while the lowy regime treats australian domestic football as their play-thing. If they're not up to it, then we need someone who is. 

Is Wellington diverse?  Dont know, however this is a club that has no historical or existing link to a specific migrant group - Rusty Einstein

The negative stereotypes are perpetuated by people who either have no idea or are serving a vested interest; neither viewpoint should get anywhere near running Australian football -
Ange Postecoglou

Edited
7 Years Ago by HortoMagiko
HortoMagiko
HortoMagiko
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

kavorka - 17 Jan 2017 8:35 PM
mouflonrouge - 17 Jan 2017 11:51 AM

I felt this too....and the real blow was the failure to qualify for the 1998 WC when they drew with Iran 2-2. I was crushed, as I knew a golden opportunity was missed for the NSL. Had they qualified I have no doubt the NSL would still be around in some form and would have been like a hybrid version of the A league and NSL. We lost 7 years in development as a result of Iran coming back and drawing 2-2

Nailed it kavorka.  

Major turning point for the game... and certainly contributed to creating an opportunity for lowy to hijack the game. 

Is Wellington diverse?  Dont know, however this is a club that has no historical or existing link to a specific migrant group - Rusty Einstein

The negative stereotypes are perpetuated by people who either have no idea or are serving a vested interest; neither viewpoint should get anywhere near running Australian football -
Ange Postecoglou

Edited
HortoMagiko
HortoMagiko
Pro

aufc_ole - 18 Jan 2017 12:10 PM

Yeah no way both Melbourne or Sydney teams would be relegated 

This. Dreaming if he thinks the 4 big players get relegated. 

Edit. Make that 5 big players, if Newcastle are to be allowed to compete on a level playing field with the big 4. Right now the cap is keeping the jets small - remove it and they become an australian football powerhouse. 

Ange Postecoglou

Edited
World Class

HortoMagiko - 18 Jan 2017 12:33 PM
aufc_ole - 18 Jan 2017 12:10 PM

This. Dreaming if he thinks the 4 big players get relegated. 

Would be interesting,

but we can't have that eh !

MarkfromCroydon
MarkfromCroydon
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

I wouldn't like that. I'd like to see a single top tier league of 18-20 teams that are all financially viable, that all have great stadia for a great matchday experience, that are geographically dispersed so that the majority of the Australian population could access a match within their own local city or area (or say up to 2 hours away), and that all have academies and pathways to foster young talent. Pro/rel is not necessary for that.

mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro

View from the fence - 18 Jan 2017 11:14 AM

Don't need an expanded Top division.

Do need P&R

So you are in favour of 10 teams. How boring! 
mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro

Yeh I am in favour of 14 teams no problem and for a slow careful approach.

Also, any big club that gets relegated will in all likelihood yoyo back to the top tier. The fans are likely to follow them still in the second tier, so they will probably still need the big stadium and pay rent for it. 
World Class

mouflonrouge - 18 Jan 2017 12:55 PM
View from the fence - 18 Jan 2017 11:14 AM

So you are in favour of 10 teams. How boring! 

10 teams might be the best number for the top-tier of a complete pyramid, I don't know for sure

What I do know is that until there is a complete pyramid, you'll never know for sure.

Adding 2 teams to the current Cartel will just keep the dumb fucks amused for a while.  It adds 2 teams to the bit of the ladder that doesn't matter to anyone.

HortoMagiko
HortoMagiko
Pro

View from the fence - 18 Jan 2017 12:43 PM
HortoMagiko - 18 Jan 2017 12:33 PM

Would be interesting,

but we can't have that eh !

The beauty of P/R. 

Good point though. Man uniteds relegation sure was the final nail in the coffin for them....................NOT!

Ange Postecoglou

Edited
Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

HortoMagiko - 18 Jan 2017 1:11 PM
View from the fence - 18 Jan 2017 12:43 PM

The beauty of P/R. 

Good point though. Man uniteds relegation sure was the final nail in the coffin for them....................NOT!

Really this, coupled with the relegation of Man City to the third tier and their subsequent rise, is a big reason why promotion and relegation works. If a big club, such as Man United, is relegated, they pull out all stops to get back into the top division. Indeed, the renewal of Man City to the power house they are is also a great story. The nay sayers who say the big teams must always be in the top division do not know their history.

If Brisbane Roar were relegated, their numbers of fans would drop off, but I'm sure the owners would be getting marquee's and whatever else was necessary to get back into the A League rather than sit in the A2 League. The reality is that such a story would actually increase their fan base long term!
Edited
7 Years Ago by Footballking55
Monfries7
Monfries7
Under 7s
Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)

Footballking55 - 18 Jan 2017 2:16 PM
HortoMagiko - 18 Jan 2017 1:11 PM

Really this, coupled with the relegation of Man City to the third tier and their subsequent rise, is a big reason why promotion and relegation works. If a big club, such as Man United, is relegated, they pull out all stops to get back into the top division. Indeed, the renewal of Man City to the power house they are is also a great story. The nay sayers who say the big teams must always be in the top division do not know their history.

If Brisbane Roar were relegated, their numbers of fans would drop off, but I'm sure the owners would be getting marquee's and whatever else was necessary to get back into the A League rather than sit in the A2 League. The reality is that such a story would actually increase their fan base long term!

I'm going to go ahead a quote a guy from an MLS forum I read earlier that sums up perfectly why relegation isn't required, ESPECIALLY when we only have 10 teams, many of which struggle to even get 10k through the gates.

"What is the incentive to win in the NBA, in the NHL, in the MLB, in the NFL? What incentives are there to improve at the Olympics, or in racing?

Surely, pro/rel is not the only incentive a team has to win or lose, and surely the consequences of relegation aren't present in the other named leagues or sports?

So without relegation, what incentive have the Arizona Cardinals had to become a viable and competitive franchise, or hell, the Chicago Blackhawks?

What incentive is there, if not the threat of relegation, for a team like the New York Mets to pull themselves up from the bottom?

Is this not a completely bunk argument?

MLS teams that win receive cash prizes in league and cup play, they receive cash prizes in the Open Cup, they receive cash prizes in the CCL and the CWC. It depends on their success.

They receive cash from jersey and merchandise sales, they receive cash from ticket sales, they receive cash from sponsorship and partnership deals. These are all much easier when the team succeeds, yes?

Surely arguing that without the threat of relegation a team has no obligation, desire or duty to win is pure bullshit, right?

Likewise, isn't ignoring or handwaving the destructiveness of relegation and the avoidance of it as incentive to win also bullshit?"

southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

What about all those other teams in America that will be stuck in the 2nd tier forever unless the MLS hand picks them to come up? Much like here the yanks have the potential to take our game to another level but choose not to because the other tin pot sports they have that the rest of world doesn't give a shit about have closed up leagues. Leagues like the NFL and NBA Reward crap teams with high draft picks just like the AFL here, even the MLS has a draft, what sort of incentive does that give coaches and teams that aren't at the highest level to strive for something better?
Kamaryn
Kamaryn
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Monfries7 - 18 Jan 2017 2:32 PM

I'm going to go ahead a quote a guy from an MLS forum I read earlier that sums up perfectly why relegation isn't required, ESPECIALLY when we only have 10 teams, many of which struggle to even get 10k through the gates.

"What is the incentive to win in the NBA, in the NHL, in the MLB, in the NFL? What incentives are there to improve at the Olympics, or in racing?

Surely, pro/rel is not the only incentive a team has to win or lose, and surely the consequences of relegation aren't present in the other named leagues or sports?

So without relegation, what incentive have the Arizona Cardinals had to become a viable and competitive franchise, or hell, the Chicago Blackhawks?

What incentive is there, if not the threat of relegation, for a team like the New York Mets to pull themselves up from the bottom?

MLS teams that win receive cash prizes in league and cup play, they receive cash prizes in the Open Cup, they receive cash prizes in the CCL and the CWC. It depends on their success.

They receive cash from jersey and merchandise sales, they receive cash from ticket sales, they receive cash from sponsorship and partnership deals. These are all much easier when the team succeeds, yes?

Surely arguing that without the threat of relegation a team has no obligation, desire or duty to win is pure bullshit, right?

Likewise, isn't ignoring or handwaving the destructiveness of relegation and the avoidance of it as incentive to win also bullshit?"

World Class

Expansion thread has been converted to P&R thread 

https://i.makeagif.com/media/8-27-2015/eGQiGV.gif

Edited
7 Years Ago by View from the fence
aufc_ole
aufc_ole
World Class
World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)

View from the fence - 18 Jan 2017 3:16 PM
Expansion thread has been converted to P&R thread 

https://i.makeagif.com/media/8-27-2015/eGQiGV.gif

Mission accomplished boys
Reedy
Reedy
Rising Star
Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)

Agree that the incentive to win is there regardless of pro/rel or not. 

The incentive to NOT LOSE is greater with pro/rel. 
southmelb
southmelb
World Class

Reedy - 18 Jan 2017 3:27 PM

Agree that the incentive to win is there regardless of pro/rel or not. 

The incentive to NOT LOSE is greater with pro/rel. 

In most pro american sports and afl here the incentive when youre at the bottom is to keep losing to secure better draft picks, its a joke.
Monfries7
Monfries7
Under 7s

southmelb - 18 Jan 2017 3:35 PM
Reedy - 18 Jan 2017 3:27 PM

In most pro american sports and afl here the incentive when youre at the bottom is to keep losing to secure better draft picks, its a joke.
[/quote]

The only joke here is that you're talking about pro/rel when our league only has 10 teams, most of which are bleeding money
HortoMagiko
HortoMagiko
Pro

Monfries7 - 18 Jan 2017 4:16 PM
southmelb - 18 Jan 2017 3:35 PM

[/quote]

The only joke here is that you're talking about pro/rel when our league only has 10 teams, most of which are bleeding money
[/quote]

No youre wrong as usual. The model is the problem. 

Ange Postecoglou

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search