The Melbourne Victory Supporters Thread 2.0

The Melbourne Victory Supporters Thread 2.0

Author
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
azzaMVFC - 2 Jun 2017 10:31 AM
sanchez - 1 Jun 2017 3:58 PM

I'm hearing this as well. Club struggling to meet his managements terms. From all reports they're asking for a lot.

Kosta though .. deal becoming more and more realistic. Under the cap as well.

Well he certainly shouldn't be above.

jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
I'd imagine that Kosta would mean the 0.01% chance we could get Kruse would be gone. 
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

jlm8695 - 2 Jun 2017 11:24 AM
I'd imagine that Kosta would mean the 0.01% chance we could get Kruse would be gone. 

TBF we should be moving on

azzaMVFC
azzaMVFC
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

TheSelectFew - 2 Jun 2017 11:25 AM
jlm8695 - 2 Jun 2017 11:24 AM

TBF we should be moving on

I'd go Kruse over Kosta.. Kruse would be good in the HAL once he gets some match fitness into him. Nowhere near international standard though.
Edited
7 Years Ago by azzaMVFC
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

azzaMVFC - 2 Jun 2017 11:27 AM
TheSelectFew - 2 Jun 2017 11:25 AM

I'd go Kruse over Kosta.. Kruse would be good in the HAL once he gets some match fitness into him. Nowhere near international standard though.

I would go neither. Kosta was too good for his own feet. Loads of potential but couldn't keep control for dear life.

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

TheSelectFew - 2 Jun 2017 12:52 PM
azzaMVFC - 2 Jun 2017 11:27 AM

I would go neither. Kosta was too good for his own feet. Loads of potential but couldn't keep control for dear life.

This.

Time to find the new Kruse/Kostas of the world.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Melbourne Victory braced for James Troisi exit as talks on new deal stall

Melbourne Victory is braced for a parting of the ways with key midfielder James Troisi as talks between the Socceroo and the defeated grand finalists appear to have ground to a half.

Troisi is in Adelaide with the national team for the all important World Cup qualifier with Saudi Arabia on Thursday night, but his club future looks to be in limbo.

His last game for Victory was in the Grand Final penalty shoot out defeat to Sydney, and the longer the impasse lasts the less likely many in the Victory camp believe it will be resolved with him re-committing to the club.

It is understood that Troisi, whose form this season has been good enough to win him a recall to national team colours after a post Asian Cup period in the wilderness, has rejected two offers from the club.

The first, it is believed, involved a significant wage hike and the designation as marquee player.

Agreement could not be reached on that, and, according to insiders, a further deal was tabled but nothing has been signed.

Meanwhile rumours continue to build that the 29-year-old will be playing elsewhere next season. Several clubs, including cross city rivals Melbourne City and Western Sydney Wanderers have been mentioned as possible suitors for the Adelaide born and raised player.

Troisi has publicly made little comment but in an interview last week he suggested no offer had been tabled - something Victory insists is not the case.

The skilful attacker is in his second spell with Kevin Muscat's team, having played in Europe and the Middle East before returning to Australia to try to reboot his career after those ventures failed to provide him with the platform he wanted.

It is undeniable that Troisi made a significant contribution to Victory's solid season.

But as reports surfaced that he was looking for a near seven figure sum as a marquee player - which would put him on a bigger wage than current leading scorer and marquee man Besart Berisha - many amongst the club's fan base began to wonder whether he was worth it or whether such a sum, spent elsewhere, might bring greater value next year.

Troisi's track record over a peripatetic career has been rather hit and miss: one good year followed by a departure for pastures new or a down season before he reignites interest with a string of good performances for a new club.

Muscat needs a major rebuild for next season, and he is off in Europe scouting players on an off season break. The question is whether the coach may eventually decide that such brinkmanship over a player like Troisi, who is talented but does not actually score that many goals, may not be worth it - especially if he can use such a hefty sum to lure a foreign talent who could offer similar or better performance.

Victory has already signed another Socceroo in centre back Rhys Williams and recalled young defender Thomas Deng from a spell in The Netherlands.

It has allowed French-Tunisian winger Fahid Ben Khalfallah to join Brisbane, while Spanish defensive utility Alan Baro has moved to Central Coast. Former premiership winning central defender Nick Ansell and midfielder Rashid Mahazi have both also left the club since the Grand Final loss.

The Age

Thanks, but no thanks - I doubt the likes of Castro or Ninkovic are anywhere near the $1 million mark, and they arguably dominate more games than Troisi does. Thanks for your service but if cash is more important than a guaranteed ticket to Russia 2018 then see you later.

So Kev needs to add a visa #10 to the shopping list - makes the departure of Baro seem more reasonable in this context, freeing up a visa spot.
scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Caught the David Carneys. If he cant be resigned up the cap then move along.
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

scubaroo - 4 Jun 2017 4:34 PM
Caught the David Carneys. If he cant be resigned up the cap then move along.

Wouldnt bother tbh. 

paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
The more he holds out for cash the more I remember the row z long bombs when there was a pass on.

I'd be happy to keep him as he's already integrated into the squad and I do like him, but if he overplays his hand too much we can probably get better bang for buck elsewhere with a marquee spot and as many as four visa spots to fill.

Edited
7 Years Ago by paladisious
loki
loki
World Class
World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)

50 shots off target (and 25 on) for the season. In comparison Rojas had 37 shots in total, of which 27 were on target.

It's possible that he managed the record for shots off target in a season.
agga78
agga78
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

As I have said previously, he is not a marquee level player for the biggest team in the league, he is a max $500k player and that is really pushing it,  Rogic would be getting less than a million  at Celtic, so for.a guy not at European level, he is wanting way overs his true value. 
He really doesn't have any options outside the A league, so mv hold all the cards & shouldn't be going anywhere near him & backing themselves to fine a top quality foreign marquee no 10.
jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

After much consideration Wellington Phoenix have consented to the release of Kosta Barbarouses. Following a difficult twelve months off the field, the All White striker approached Phoenix management asking for a release for reasons not pertaining to football. - See more at: http://www.wellingtonphoenix.com/article/joint-statement-wellington-phoenix-agree-to-release-barbarouses-from-last-year-of-contract/uvo32e0vd72f1qwyg6nota162#sthash.8XMUhQez.dpuf

walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

jlm8695 - 5 Jun 2017 9:11 AM
After much consideration Wellington Phoenix have consented to the release of Kosta Barbarouses. Following a difficult twelve months off the field, the All White striker approached Phoenix management asking for a release for reasons not pertaining to football. - See more at: http://www.wellingtonphoenix.com/article/joint-statement-wellington-phoenix-agree-to-release-barbarouses-from-last-year-of-contract/uvo32e0vd72f1qwyg6nota162#sthash.8XMUhQez.dpuf

Will be a worthy pickup for a cheap price under the cap, especially with ACL commitments on the horizon - sounds like the missus misses Melbourne haha
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

Surely he's on his way back.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

azzaMVFC
azzaMVFC
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

;)
walnuts
walnuts
Legend

azzaMVFC - 5 Jun 2017 9:25 AM
;)

Who do you know from within the club eh? First Troisi and now Barbarouses lol

Good work on the inside info though, much appreciated!
jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend

So after his last stint at Brisbane and Victory, would he be eligible to get his citizenship soon? Not too sure on the exact details, but I'd imagine he's spent enough time cumulative in Aus but would have to live here for a year or so before applying? 

Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

there has been talk in one of the Victory fan groups on Facebook that we are about to announce the signing of 2 former players, one of which is a visa player. Kosta seems to fit that mould. 

As for Troisi, I agree that he's probably not worth 7 figures. but there is no doubt we underpaid him in the season just gone. That probably justifies a salary of close to 1 million for next season I reckon.
walnuts
walnuts
Legend

Feed_The_Brox - 5 Jun 2017 9:36 AM
there has been talk in one of the Victory fan groups on Facebook that we are about to announce the signing of 2 former players, one of which is a visa player. Kosta seems to fit that mould. 

As for Troisi, I agree that he's probably not worth 7 figures. but there is no doubt we underpaid him in the season just gone. That probably justifies a salary of close to 1 million for next season I reckon.

Not a lot of former players on the market left after Barbarouses - leaves probably perhaps Kruse or Milligan?
jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend

Two former players?

I wonder who the other one could possibly be.

Kruse and Millsy spring to mind, especially with Troisi's contract issues. 

Leijer as defensive depth perhaps? Pretty sure he's still contracted for another year in Korea though. 

I know there were some rumours about Galekovic, but don't see that happening after Acton resigned. 
Edited
7 Years Ago by jlm8695
pv4
pv4
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Moderators
jlm8695 - 5 Jun 2017 9:32 AM
So after his last stint at Brisbane and Victory, would he be eligible to get his citizenship soon? Not too sure on the exact details, but I'd imagine he's spent enough time cumulative in Aus but would have to live here for a year or so before applying? 

I thought it had to be 5 consecutive years in the country. I have no doubts that I could be very wrong, though. 
FullBack4
FullBack4
Amateur
Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)

Kosta has been in talks with Brisbane and MVFC apparently, with Vuck favorites by some way.

Not sure Kosta is marquee material though?

loki
loki
World Class
World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)

pv4 - 5 Jun 2017 10:20 AM
jlm8695 - 5 Jun 2017 9:32 AM

I thought it had to be 5 consecutive years in the country. I have no doubts that I could be very wrong, though. 

Totally up in the air since the announcement on 20 April. Essentially the department has made an announcement that it's now 4 consecutive years of permanent residence and that requirement will be back-dated to 20 April (i.e. applications made after that date will have to meet the new requirements) but there's no legislation to back that up as yet. It used to be four years in the country with the last 12 months at least being on a permanent residence visa and no periods of over 12 months outside the country.

The other complicating factor is that Kiwis can reside here indefinitely on a special visa class that allows them to work and whatever, but they have to apply for the permanent resident visa just like any other foreign national before they can go for citizenship and we have no idea whether Kosta has or not.

In short, no fucking idea.
walnuts
walnuts
Legend

loki - 5 Jun 2017 10:53 AM
pv4 - 5 Jun 2017 10:20 AM

Totally up in the air since the announcement on 20 April. Essentially the department has made an announcement that it's now 4 consecutive years of permanent residence and that requirement will be back-dated to 20 April (i.e. applications made after that date will have to meet the new requirements) but there's no legislation to back that up as yet. It used to be four years in the country with the last 12 months at least being on a permanent residence visa and no periods of over 12 months outside the country.

The other complicating factor is that Kiwis can reside here indefinitely on a special visa class that allows them to work and whatever, but they have to apply for the permanent resident visa just like any other foreign national before they can go for citizenship and we have no idea whether Kosta has or not.

In short, no fucking idea.

Probably reasonable to assume he'll be a visa player if signed. Not the end of the world if it goes through - his fitness will be crucial come the ACL, as he'll back up for midweek games.
jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend

Yeah i think he'd 100% be foreign this year, was more talking about the year after. 

Seems like its all a bit of a mess regardless. 
Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

jlm8695 - 5 Jun 2017 10:02 AM

Two former players?

I wonder who the other one could possibly be.

Kruse and Millsy spring to mind, especially with Troisi's contract issues. 

Leijer as defensive depth perhaps? Pretty sure he's still contracted for another year in Korea though. 

I know there were some rumours about Galekovic, but don't see that happening after Acton resigned. 

apparently Kruse isn't one of them. My thoughts are Milligan, but I guess it could be Leijer or Galekovic. I wouldn't have thought Galekovic, but Kev does like 3 keepers in the squad.  
jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend

So former players who we might want/could fit the bill:

Jeggo (Unlikely)
Spiranovic (?) Don't know if he counts
Millsy
Galekovic (Unlikely)
Kruse (Unlikely)
Nichols (Please no)
Makarounas (Unlikely)
Leijer (Unlikely)
Galloway? (Trialling in Holland IIRC)

World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

Spira is a good shout, doing himself no favours languishing away in second tier China
azzaMVFC
azzaMVFC
World Class

Millsy would be amazing if true. 

I reckon Kruse would get back to being at Socceroo level if he played a full season with us. Needs consistency and an injury free run.

Either would be perfect, especially with the ACL coming up.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search