Eurosnobs

Eurosnobs

Author
sokorny
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Interestingly I have a Czech mate who doesn't really follow the Czech anymore because it is "rubbish", but he can tell you everything going on at Arsenal.

Going off the attendance numbers for a lot of European clubs outside the Big 5 leagues I would suggest there are plenty of people with a similar mentality in Europe.

Personally I think it comes down to "marketing". You know you have an inferior product (skill wise), so you have to sell it on another level (club culture, entertainment, youth development, engagement, community partnerships etc etc...) You have to convince people to make an investment in your club.

I think on this forum in general FFA gets alot of the blame, when looking at the A League I would say the clubs should burden just as much "blame" if not more.
sokorny
sokorny
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

sokorny - 17 Oct 2019 2:33 PM
Interestingly I have a Czech mate who doesn't really follow the Czech anymore because it is "rubbish", but he can tell you everything going on at Arsenal.

Czech league I meant 
SUTHERLANDBEAR
SUTHERLANDBEAR
Pro
Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)

Going off the attendance numbers for a lot of European clubs outside the Big 5 leagues I would suggest there are plenty of people with a similar mentality in Europe.

Personally I think it comes down to "marketing". You know you have an inferior product (skill wise), so you have to sell it on another level (club culture, entertainment, youth development, engagement, community partnerships etc etc...) You have to convince people to make an investment in your club.

I think on this forum in general FFA gets alot of the blame, when looking at the A League I would say the clubs should burden just as much "blame" if not more.

Everyone in the Czech will know when and where who is and isn't playing, no need for wasted money on marketing.
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

SUTHERLANDBEAR - 17 Oct 2019 4:07 PM

Everyone in the Czech will know when and where who is and isn't playing, no need for wasted money on marketing.

With an average crowd of just over 5,000 maybe they need some marketing? 
ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

MarkfromCroydon - 17 Oct 2019 2:18 PM
WSF - 17 Oct 2019 1:48 PM

Nearly as plastic as supporting a mono ethnic social club who just happens to field a semi pro football team on the side.

Well you've just won dope of the week with that comment. 
WSF
WSF
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

ErogenousZone - 17 Oct 2019 4:12 PM
MarkfromCroydon - 17 Oct 2019 2:18 PM

Well you've just won dope of the week with that comment. 

He has won quite of few of those. 
MarkfromCroydon
MarkfromCroydon
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

WSF - 17 Oct 2019 4:20 PM
ErogenousZone - 17 Oct 2019 4:12 PM

He has won quite of few of those. 

Meanwhile, here in reality, things continue as per normal.

southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

MarkfromCroydon - 22 Mar 2019 1:59 PM
Ryan, Langerak, Mooy, Rogic, Arzani, Sainsbury, Kruse, Behich, Leckie, Mabil etc etc
Thanks A League.

Half those guys originally came from the the evil mono efnik clubs as well.
Bunch of Hacks
Bunch of Hacks
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

Melbcityguy - 13 Mar 2019 12:26 PM
anyone have any stories on dealing with eurosnobs, arguments, debates or even converting one??

60% of this forum
ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro

southmelb - 18 Oct 2019 4:38 AM

Half those guys originally came from the the evil mono efnik clubs as well.

Don't tell dopey. His brain might explode. 
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

ErogenousZone - 18 Oct 2019 8:01 AM
southmelb - 18 Oct 2019 4:38 AM

Don't tell dopey. His brain might explode. 

err, not sure what weird tangent this threads attempting to take but eurosnobbery has as much contempt for mono-ethnic clubs as it does the A-League lol. 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
There is an analogy with the adulation of AFL in my home state. There is no AFL team here, and local AFL fans seem to adulate something that isn't played on their home soil.

With football because European football isn't played here, an inherent inferiority complex of  some supposed football fans in Aus inexplicably  manifests.

If two  teams of  English League One footballers  were to wear Celtic and Barcelona strips, played each other, and Aussie Eurosnobs were told they were the genuine Celtic and Barca line ups, I maintain many Eurosnobs in Australia wouldn't be able to discern the difference using football performance criteria.

I just can't believe the amount of  energy supposed football fans put into this forum to denigrate the game on Australian shores. I surmise most of them have never played or coached football beyond park level, or junior level. 
WSF
WSF
Pro

Now we wait for the multis to show up. 
aok
aok
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

WSF - 19 Oct 2019 12:04 PM
Now we wait for the multis to show up. 

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
BrisbaneBhoy
BrisbaneBhoy
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Decentric - 19 Oct 2019 11:40 AM
If two  teams of  English League One footballers  were to wear Celtic and Barcelona strips, played each other, and Aussie Eurosnobs were told they were the genuine Celtic and Barca line ups, I maintain many Eurosnobs in Australia wouldn't be able to discern the difference using football performance criteria.

Woohoo!!! This means I'm not a "Eurosnob", as I could tell the difference - Oh wait, I never was.

In all seriousness, if a 'League One' side was to represent Barca, then you will need a 'Conference', or 'Conference League North' team to represent Celtic. Otherwise there will be those who question the teams in question.

🇮🇪Hail Hail🇮🇪

Edited
5 Years Ago by BrisbaneBhoy
localstar
localstar
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Decentric has a very low opinion of the intelligence of some Eurosnobs....!
Edited
5 Years Ago by Decentric
aok
aok
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

localstar - 19 Oct 2019 2:49 PM
Decentric has a very low opinion of the intelligence of some Eurosnobs...!

The feeling is mutual.
Edited
5 Years Ago by Decentric
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Geez I'm wondering how long it will be before you have to show your coach
aok - 19 Oct 2019 3:01 PM
localstar - 19 Oct 2019 2:49 PM

The feeling is mutual.

It's incredible isn't it?  Hasn't played football since 1974 and yet feels free to pontificate and be condescending to Eurosnobs. Heaven forbid you could watch and enjoy a match without having a masters in triangling.

Member since 2008.

Edited
5 Years Ago by Decentric
Bunch of Hacks
Bunch of Hacks
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

Waz - 18 Oct 2019 8:06 AM
ErogenousZone - 18 Oct 2019 8:01 AM

err, not sure what weird tangent this threads attempting to take but eurosnobbery has as much contempt for mono-ethnic clubs as it does the A-League lol. 

Exactly
Davstar
Davstar
World Class
World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)

Dont blame him the Czech league is pretty shit 

these Kangaroos can play football - 
Ange P. (Intercontinental WC Play-offs 2017) 

KEEP POLITICS OUT OF FOOTBALL

mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

AJF - 13 Mar 2019 3:11 PM
vincenzogold - 13 Mar 2019 2:25 PM

I used to watch heaps of HAL, now I am also turning into a "eurosnob" because HAL is difficult to watch because
- it is so slow and the constant back passing is boring
- its hard to sustain a relationship with a club when every season there is massive player recycling,
- it is hard to take seriously when it is the only league in the world that thinks giving Bolt a professional contract is a good idea
- there are no incentives to improve or consequences for poor performance (ie CCM's record)
- if I wanted to watch pensioners, I'd go down the local park and watch the over 35's
- the development pathway is broken

Yep.

Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

BrisbaneBhoy - 19 Oct 2019 2:41 PM
Decentric - 19 Oct 2019 11:40 AM

Woohoo!!! This means I'm not a "Eurosnob", as I could tell the difference - Oh wait, I never was.

In all seriousness, if a 'League One' side was to represent Barca, then you will need a 'Conference', or 'Conference League North' team to represent Celtic. Otherwise there will be those who question the teams in question.

I put Eurosnobs into two categories, BB.

1. Benign ones, like many I know involved in the NPL football milieu, and those like yourself, who have involvement and interest in the local game, but don't  rubbish football in Australia. Eurosnob is probably a misnomer. Eurofan is probably a more apt term. I have  a number of friends off forum who fit into  this category. On this forum, I usually find your posts and their posts interesting as they have genuine football perspectives.  

2. Eurosnob Bitters - These were virtually unknown on this forum in the inaugural years and even 6 years ago. Since the FFA/ HAL club dichotomy, these bitter cynics appear to have contributed to driving FTBL forum into a downward spiral. They seem to put a tremendous amount of time and energy denigrating and mocking football in Australia. I have no time whatsoever for Bitter Eurosnobs. I've never met any off forum in the local football milieu. What these Eurosnob Bitters post on here is often unadulterated, infantile crap. 
Edited
5 Years Ago by Decentric
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Munrubenmuz - 19 Oct 2019 4:33 PM
Geez I'm wondering how long it will be before you have to show your coach
aok - 19 Oct 2019 3:01 PM

It's incredible isn't it?  Hasn't played football since 1974 and yet feels free to pontificate and be condescending to Eurosnobs. Heaven forbid you could watch and enjoy a match without having a masters in triangling.

I'm going to go easy on you since the mental health issue has become more prevalent in the media, champ.

In a plethora of coaching  courses I've played a lot of football with and against former NSL, under 23 Socceroos, former English pro youth players, current and former NPL and state players as recently as 5 years ago.

I didn't stop  playing in 1974 either.

Decentric
Decentric
Legend

There are a lot of Eurosnobs/Eurofans in Singapore too.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

LFC. - 19 Mar 2019 8:27 PM
Feed_The_Brox - 19 Mar 2019 11:19 AM

By the way Melb City Guy, keep it going mate.

Melb City Guy deserves a lot more credit for proactively starting discussion about football.

Many of the bitter cynics  who criticise the topics of threads he starts  should start bona fide threads themselves and get themselves a life off forum .  
charlied
charlied
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

Decentric - 20 Oct 2019 9:33 AM
Munrubenmuz - 19 Oct 2019 4:33 PM

I'm going to go easy on you since the mental health issue has become more prevalent in the media, champ.

In a plethora of coaching  courses I've played a lot of football with and against former NSL, under 23 Socceroos, former English pro youth players, current and former NPL and state players as recently as 5 years ago.

I didn't stop  playing in 1974 either.

Are you guys going to compare dicks next or what? 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Benjamin - 22 Mar 2019 10:44 AM
paulc - 22 Mar 2019 9:48 AM

Unfortunately, we're talking about players developed in the NSL who's form was then displayed in European leagues and at international level...  Presumably neither being played in slow motion.

Moving on from 7 months ago, the national team, the Socceroos, has more depth in a few positions which were previously light on.

Most of those players have graduated through our ostensibly termed inadequate system.

There is no doubt almost any national football system can improve, and ours is less than perfect, but the Socceroo WCQ campaign has been our best start for some time, maybe ever. I qualify this by proffering our Asian Cup performance was close to a debacle compared to the criterion  of our own previous standards  only 9 months ago.
City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

Decentric - 20 Oct 2019 9:20 AM
BrisbaneBhoy - 19 Oct 2019 2:41 PM

I put Eurosnobs into two categories, BB.

1. Benign ones, like many I know involved in the NPL football milieu, and those like yourself, who have involvement and interest in the local game, but don't  rubbish football in Australia. Eurosnob is probably a misnomer. Eurofan is probably a more apt term. I have  a number of friends off forum who fit into  this category. On this forum, I usually find your posts and their posts interesting as they have genuine football perspectives.  

2. Eurosnob Bitters - These were virtually unknown on this forum in the inaugural years and even 6 years ago. Since the FFA/ HAL club dichotomy, these bitter cynics appear to have contributed to driving FTBL forum into a downward spiral. They seem to put a tremendous amount of time and energy denigrating and mocking football in Australia. I have no time whatsoever for Bitter Eurosnobs. I've never met any off forum in the local football milieu. What these Eurosnob Bitters post on here is often unadulterated, infantile crap. 

While your last point is true that lots post crap is on here, i wouldn't call anyone a euro snob. Because believe me they wouldn't give a shit to go on this forum. Most just have apathy for the local game, they don't care one way or another.

Decentric
Decentric
Legend

General Ashnak - 21 Mar 2019 7:11 PM
MarkfromCroydon - 21 Mar 2019 6:52 PM

I don't think the A League has produced any players, though it has allowed a few players to move onto clubs that have developed them.

Risdon and Grant have both doing a reasonable job at RB.

They are products of the HAL exclusively.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Benjamin - 22 Mar 2019 8:55 PM

It's good that you're happy with that group as representatives of how good the A-League has been in the last 15 years...  Hard to argue with Ryan, Mooy and Leckie...  Hopefully Arzani fulfils his potential and doesn't crash like Oar did...  Rogic is pretty good so long as you don't expect him to play 90 minutes - and Sainsbury and Behich are showing signs of being top quality bench warmers in Holland...

That said, if we look at the last 15 years of the NSL we get Schwarzer, Bosnich, Bresciano, Grella, Culina, Popovic, Muscat, Vidmar, Holman, Emerton, Chipperfield, Sterjovski, Cahill, Viduka, Aloisi - all of whom played at a high level in Europe for a number of seasons...  .

Bosnich and both Vidmars never played WC football.

As European players many of them were not regulars at their clubs, but battled week in and week out for a starting place.

Popovic had one season in the EPL, I think, but was not a starter.

Muscat only played Championship and SPL.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search