Just how Skint is the APL ?

Just how Skint is the APL ?

Author
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
patjennings - 29 May 2024 4:52 PM
LFC. - 29 May 2024 3:10 PM

JJ of course would concern himself with the APL - it is part of the football in Australia - but hopefully as as pre-emptive rather than reactive way.

I think government liaison is something that the AFL and NRL do well. They tend to have one contact. We seem to have multiple approaching all levels of govt. JJ and Conroy have both said at times that is an area that needs to improve and we need to present a united approach. As an example Vlandys is saying he has a $600m 10 year deal with the fed govt. JJ has done his infrastructure audit and some of that has been addressed at the edges but much more needs to be done. 

Football, being the largest participation football sport as well as having considerably less concussive risk has a number of health advantages that potentially saves the health budget - possibly, indeed probably, enough to justify on its own a similar investment as Vlandys is claiming, It is also the World Game and should be used by DFAT instead of AFL. 

Fair points pj.
Its not just that do well trouble is it’s been part of the fabric for the last 50yrs way more than football ever has.
Every aspect in business and gov recognise the marketing power and pull incl the media that is right behind both codes but its not like it was - its living on its past - I can’t see how those games can grow like football, especially the women’s/young girls side of the fence.
Something g has to give sooner or later And for starters JJ has to get this messy house of ours in order - that’s the main front that needs correcting asap.

Love Football

LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Mind you it presents a good counter argument looking ahead.
Those 2 codes are not the future nor will last forever as 1/2 codes here sooner or later.
i know it’s a long shot right now but it does have merit.
concussion injuries less that is a big deal today.
They should also argue it is more inclusive than the other codes ahead hence the increase of regos at Jnr levels.
Id be throwing everything you can to sell your sport that’s for sure.

Love Football

patjennings
patjennings
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

libelous - 29 May 2024 5:13 PM

I get what you’re saying but politicians are always looking for votes and if it’s to their political benefit then they will go for the NRL (or AFL) vote.
 I doubt the fact that it’s the world game would have any influence whatsoever.

The main point was the upside to the health budget by providing more to sports that are played rather than watched. Win for football and win for the budget. 

libelous
libelous
Rising Star
Rising Star (822 reputation)Rising Star (822 reputation)Rising Star (822 reputation)Rising Star (822 reputation)Rising Star (822 reputation)Rising Star (822 reputation)Rising Star (822 reputation)Rising Star (822 reputation)Rising Star (822 reputation)Rising Star (822 reputation)Rising Star (822 reputation)

JJ of course would concern himself with the APL - it is part of the football in Australia - but hopefully as as pre-emptive rather than reactive way.

I think government liaison is something that the AFL and NRL do well. They tend to have one contact. We seem to have multiple approaching all levels of govt. JJ and Conroy have both said at times that is an area that needs to improve and we need to present a united approach. As an example Vlandys is saying he has a $600m 10 year deal with the fed govt. JJ has done his infrastructure audit and some of that has been addressed at the edges but much more needs to be done. 

Football, being the largest participation football sport as well as having considerably less concussive risk has a number of health advantages that potentially saves the health budget - possibly, indeed probably, enough to justify on its own a similar investment as Vlandys is claiming, It is also the World Game and should be used by DFAT instead of AFL. 

I get what you’re saying but politicians are always looking for votes and if it’s to their political benefit then they will go for the NRL (or AFL) vote.
 I doubt the fact that it’s the world game would have any influence whatsoever.
patjennings
patjennings
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

patjennings - 29 May 2024 1:20 PM

well working together is the politcal question.

On one hand you have JJ with 110% interests in the game as a whole and for the bigger picture ( he also is a polli CEO wise), on the other hand you have a resigned polli who is a Independant Chairman of a separate company that he's responsible to his shareholders  - he's also a ex polli who resigned with this kind of attitude and approach :
"The regulation of telecommunications powers in Australia is exclusively federal. That means I am in charge of spectrum auctions, and if I say to everyone in this room 'if you want to bid in our spectrum auction you'd better wear red underpants on your head', I've got some news for you. You'll be wearing them on your head ... I have unfettered legal power."

I have some fear due to the financial burdens the APL are enduring so we're told will JJ if the worst may occur (depending future broadcast deals) IF APL fold in the future he'll feel compelled to help to bail it out for the sake of the game ?????? the rich owners really should be dipping into their pockets more and more.
Will the APL/Clubs have funds for players wages ? are they having to incur salary decrease's ? Club admins/TD's etcetc.

Is this a valid argument above ?

Edited
2 days ago @ 4:52 PM by patjennings
LFC.
LFC.
Legend

libelous - 29 May 2024 12:21 PM

Agree with that - but equally either is Conroy (in spite of the fact or maybe because of the fact he was a politician). I expect the FA and the APL, with these two, while needing and wanting their own specific outcomes, will work together in representations to Govt and in negotiations regarding broadcast deals.

well working together is the politcal question.

On one hand you have JJ with 110% interests in the game as a whole and for the bigger picture ( he also is a polli CEO wise), on the other hand you have a resigned polli who is a Independant Chairman of a separate company that he's responsible to his shareholders  - he's also a ex polli who resigned with this kind of attitude and approach :
"The regulation of telecommunications powers in Australia is exclusively federal. That means I am in charge of spectrum auctions, and if I say to everyone in this room 'if you want to bid in our spectrum auction you'd better wear red underpants on your head', I've got some news for you. You'll be wearing them on your head ... I have unfettered legal power."

I have some fear due to the financial burdens the APL are enduring so we're told will JJ if the worst may occur (depending future broadcast deals) IF APL fold in the future he'll feel compelled to help to bail it out for the sake of the game ?????? the rich owners really should be dipping into their pockets more and more.
Will the APL/Clubs have funds for players wages ? are they having to incur salary decrease's ? Club admins/TD's etcetc.

Is this a valid argument above ?

Love Football

Balin Trev
Balin Trev
Pro
Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)

How the F did they waste $35M on Keep Up?! Just an AL app wasn’t it?! Bewildering
libelous
libelous
Rising Star
Rising Star (822 reputation)Rising Star (822 reputation)Rising Star (822 reputation)Rising Star (822 reputation)Rising Star (822 reputation)Rising Star (822 reputation)Rising Star (822 reputation)Rising Star (822 reputation)Rising Star (822 reputation)Rising Star (822 reputation)Rising Star (822 reputation)

Agree with that - but equally either is Conroy (in spite of the fact or maybe because of the fact he was a politician). I expect the FA and the APL, with these two, while needing and wanting their own specific outcomes, will work together in representations to Govt and in negotiations regarding broadcast deals.

I hope you’re right, that big word that everyone seems afraid of (COOPERATION) is sorely needed if things are to get back on track.
patjennings
patjennings
World Class

Melbcityguy - 29 May 2024 10:24 AM

James Johnson is nobody’s fool,
he would be holding his cards close to his chest. FA may be in the best financial position it’s been for years (ever ?) but he’s not about to blow it helping APL out of the mess they’ve created.

libelous
libelous
Rising Star

Melbcityguy - 29 May 2024 10:24 AM
LFC. - 29 May 2024 10:00 AM

All these fooking suits man they are just the same. Except Johnson his killing it 

James Johnson is nobody’s fool, he would be holding his cards close to his chest. FA may be in the best financial position it’s been for years (ever ?) but he’s not about to blow it helping APL out of the mess they’ve created.
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)

numklpkgulftumch - 28 May 2024 5:38 PM

Its a fair question by the journos above, Conroy the pollie would you expect anything different.

IF I had a sip of coffee when he was saying working close with the FA and keen on building the pyramid I would have spat all over my screen.

Exactly. Although he's been out of politics for a while now, he did spend a couple of decades of his life as a successful politician (by successful, I mean he was elected). Doesn't matter what party affiliation a politician has, they are all the same. You don't get to the level of holding a cabinet position at the federal level without stepping on some heads and being a snake. Politicians rarely change, even after they leave politics. Conroy is no different. Every word of that interview, was politician speak.
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Its a fair question by the journos above, Conroy the pollie would you expect anything different.

IF I had a sip of coffee when he was saying working close with the FA and keen on building the pyramid I would have spat all over my screen.

All these fooking suits man they are just the same. Except Johnson his killing it 
LFC.
LFC.
Legend

Football Journo's wondering why Conroy is ignoring them

Love Football

charlied
charlied
Pro
Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)

Maybe the News Ltd figure of 80% cuts if disbursements to the A League clubs was correct. 
Razor Ramon
Razor Ramon
Rising Star
Rising Star (881 reputation)Rising Star (881 reputation)Rising Star (881 reputation)Rising Star (881 reputation)Rising Star (881 reputation)Rising Star (881 reputation)Rising Star (881 reputation)Rising Star (881 reputation)Rising Star (881 reputation)Rising Star (881 reputation)Rising Star (881 reputation)

grazorblade - 18 Apr 2024 10:48 PM
Honestly i dont mind. We dont have the budget of the nrl or afl. Grow the game till kur salary floor is 5milliom before worrying about luxuries. Get rid of var too, thats an extra 100k per club

Lol 🤣 
numklpkgulftumch
numklpkgulftumch
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Football Journo's wondering why Conroy is ignoring them

grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)

Interesting they are keen to build the pyramid!

I doubt we are getting 16 teams in the a league without promotion

Every clun needs to aim to cover the salary floor each season in transfers and the financial crisis means the pfa needs to make two concessions

- lift the lid on the amount of outreach players can be expected to do. Reserves should be in a high school giving out free merch every week of the year
- bring in a domestic transfer system
robbos
robbos
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

numklpkgulftumch - 28 May 2024 11:57 AM
Conroy finally giving an 'interview'

............to his mates at SKY

https://www.skynews.com.au/australia-news/sport/stephen-conroy-discusses-challenges-facing-the-aleague/video/ec9e1a4e2129b85c00b4c4d33c9dd7f2

"Tough decisions in the coming weeks for keeping APL Viable"

"Working Hand in Glove with the FA to rebuild the pyramid " :w00t:

The writing's on the wall (I hope)

I hope its not just words, but actions. First time anyone from the APL has admitted they have made mistakes.

Lets hope they work with the FA & get government funding & the Pyramid working as he said the following is there.

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

well that all depends how good the icing on the cake deal is ? if and when thats announced.

Love Football

patjennings
patjennings
World Class

Midfielder - 13 May 2024 11:21 PM
Reports are emerging of how low the broadcast deal is getting to.

The league is also in need of promotion, DT blow the lot...

We as a Football community are left to clean it up.

I cannot see, with reports the broadcast deal to clubs has been suggest to be as low as 3 million and to be spread across, either, 12, 13 or 14 clubs....

I can't see how the existing wage structure can be paid if the broadcast revenue is so small.

Is it time to scrap the cap, reduce min wage levels.... 

That is wholly the wrong take. The ratio of the broadcast deal to the budgets of clubs like Victory, City, Wanderers, probably Auckland is less than 10%. Other clubs like CCM, ADL will find a way. The sooner the broadcast deal becomes icing on the cake and we are not dictated by it the better.
numklpkgulftumch
numklpkgulftumch
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Conroy finally giving an 'interview'

............to his mates at SKY

https://www.skynews.com.au/australia-news/sport/stephen-conroy-discusses-challenges-facing-the-aleague/video/ec9e1a4e2129b85c00b4c4d33c9dd7f2

"Tough decisions in the coming weeks for keeping APL Viable"

"Working Hand in Glove with the FA to rebuild the pyramid " :w00t:

The writing's on the wall (I hope)

Edited
3 days ago @ 12:08 PM by numklpkgulftumch
numklpkgulftumch
numklpkgulftumch
Semi-Pro

https://t.co/IOSGku0KoK

I don't have subscription but here's what it's being tweeted

How the APL spent the $140 million it raised from private equity firm Silver Lake, via @australian
  • $35m — Building KeepUp
  • $20m — Underwriting club distributions during Covid
  • $20m — Funding Perth + Wellington’s stay in NSW, other Covid hub expenses
  • $20m — Repaying a loan taken out when the league split from FA
  • $15m — Other club loans
  • $10m — Propping up Perth Glory while it was ownerless
  • $7m — To FA when the league was unbundled
  • $7m — To US investment bank Raine for negotiating the deal
  • $5m — Additional marketing

tsf
tsf
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Razor Ramon - 19 May 2024 5:30 AM
numklpkgulftumch - 19 Apr 2024 9:56 AM

Again.... I love the stupidity of this Forum. Get a random person or billionaire to pump 20 million dollars a year in A-league clubs just for the hell of it. LoL 

checks notes for the way football around the world is generally run....
Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

Again.... I love the stupidity of this Forum. Get a random person or billionaire to pump 20 million dollars a year in A-league clubs just for the hell of it. LoL 

To be fair, CFG (And Silver Lake) pretty much run the APL anyway. 
numklpkgulftumch
numklpkgulftumch
Semi-Pro

We had it easy in 2013-17 when the tv rights money was 40 million a year.

Then those stupid A-league owners got stupid and greedy. Those owners all wanted more money in their back pocket rather than spend money to improve the squad to bring the crowds in. Lol

Football fans usually follow teams
Some now just follow particular players wherever they're playing

Then you get those who cheers endlessly for Broadcast networks
Niche
Razor Ramon
Razor Ramon
Rising Star
Rising Star (881 reputation)Rising Star (881 reputation)Rising Star (881 reputation)Rising Star (881 reputation)Rising Star (881 reputation)Rising Star (881 reputation)Rising Star (881 reputation)Rising Star (881 reputation)Rising Star (881 reputation)Rising Star (881 reputation)Rising Star (881 reputation)

robbos - 17 May 2024 7:46 AM
SUTHERLANDBEAR - 16 May 2024 8:25 PM

Another of your wet dreams.
[/quote]

I wonder if Mono's wet dreams include the A-League selling out both semis this weekend, Newcastle getting new owners & Canberra starting up next season?

I agree the APL admin goes from one catastrophe to another & yet the A-League runs on an oily rag.

[/quote]

The APL are more pathetic than the FFA. 
Razor Ramon
Razor Ramon
Rising Star

CFG lost $200m last year, wouldn't hurt that much to cover the Awards night ?

We had it easy in 2013-17 when the tv rights money was 40 million a year.

Then those stupid A-league owners got stupid and greedy. Those owners all wanted more money in their back pocket rather than spend money to improve the squad to bring the crowds in. Lol
robbos
robbos
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 17 May 2024 9:37 AM

I wonder if Mono's wet dreams include the A-League selling out both semis this weekend, Newcastle getting new owners & Canberra starting up next season?

I agree the APL admin goes from one catastrophe to another & yet the A-League runs on an oily rag.

[/quote]

Lots of sell outs in the APL I agree.
[/quote]

Yep & your agendas kept football down for many years too.

robbos
robbos
Pro

doloras - 17 May 2024 9:17 AM

[/quote]

A lot of #NixOut types will be suffering in their jocks if the sold-out Sky Stadium saves the A-League financially
[/quote]

Brilliant!!!!

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

SUTHERLANDBEAR - 16 May 2024 8:25 PM

Another of your wet dreams.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Lots of sell outs in the APL I agree.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search