National second division format announce! Expressions of interest due within a month

National second division format announce! Expressions of interest due...

Author
Decentric 2
Pro
Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
someguyjc - 3 Feb 2023 2:52 PM
Anyway, let the speculation begin (again).
The FA have indicated they want a min of 10 clubs and a max of 16. 
Which clubs does everyone think will actually be able to meet the criteria.
The following are the clubs that signed the AAFC report last year. We can assume the majority of the submissions will come from this group, but feel free to speculate any club not on this list:

QLD
  • Peninsula Power
  • Sunshine Coast
  • Wynnum Wolves

Amazed Brisbane Strikers aren't in the mix?

They've played some of the best football I've seen by an NPL club from any state, when playing in a Cup game in Tasmania.

I have a mate whose son is being coached by Michael Thwaite at Gold Coast. I thought they would be in the mix too.  Gold Coast have been talking the talk for quite a while in terms of joining the A L.
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

Decentric 2 - 4 Feb 2023 1:19 PM

They've played some of the best football I've seen by an NPL club from any state, when playing in a Cup game in Tasmania.

I have a mate whose son is being coached by Michael Thwaite at Gold Coast. I thought they would be in the mix too.  Gold Coast have been talking the talk for quite a while in terms of joining the A L.

They may very well be in the mix. They just didn't sign the AAFC report last year. That list are just the ones we know for sure have some level of interest. 
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

SWandP - 4 Feb 2023 11:33 AM
fanoffootball - 4 Feb 2023 9:06 AM

The concept of the FA providing money for wages etc makes me scream inside. Can't happen.  Won't happen. Just no!  Professional Leagues must be fully self-funded and stand on their own coin.

It almost definitely will happen. The A-League clubs have had annual grants to the value of the salary cap paid since it's inception by the FFA and now by the APL. I'd be very surprised if the NSD won't be setup in a very similar way. 
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro

Another question for everyone.
What should the comp be called?
I'm not a fan of the Championship as it feels like it's just copying the English. 
A2 League is also bad as there is no P&R.
I'm sure many of the rusted on fans would probably like it to be called the NSL. 

charlied
charlied
Pro
Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)

Desperately hoping for a Gold Coast club to support in the competition 
clockwork orange
clockwork orange
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

Hillbilly55 - 3 Feb 2023 10:10 PM
It will be interesting to see if the Brisbane Strikers or Brisbane Lions put up their hands. Strikers would be an eighth NSL Champion in the mix.

I find it interesting that on the Football Australia website it is saying that they are looking for Teams with "a deep connection and demonstrated history in Australian football". Surely this eliminates any new "franchise type" clubs. May also restrict the merging of existing clubs. We shall see.

All the same, very exciting at the prospect, only 13 months away :)

The current Queensland applicant pool is pretty embarrassing, so hopefully Lions, Strikers, City or even Olympic will be encouraged to apply.
If not, we’ll have the ridiculous situation of the top two tiers not having a side actually located in Brisbane (Roar at Redcliffe and Wolves at Manly).

You gotta question why this is not seen as attractive to those sides, eh?
charlied
charlied
Pro
Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)

Any word of some kind of tv deal? 
charlied
charlied
Pro

clockwork orange - 4 Feb 2023 3:29 PM
Hillbilly55 - 3 Feb 2023 10:10 PM

The current Queensland applicant pool is pretty embarrassing, so hopefully Lions, Strikers, City or even Olympic will be encouraged to apply.
If not, we’ll have the ridiculous situation of the top two tiers not having a side actually located in Brisbane (Roar at Redcliffe and Wolves at Manly).

You gotta question why this is not seen as attractive to those sides, eh?

Surely Gold Coast United would be throwing their hat in 
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro

charlied - 4 Feb 2023 3:30 PM
Any word of some kind of tv deal? 

Won't be anything until the league is finalised. Hard to sell a product that doesn't exist yet. Especially if the initial group may not have representatives from all major cities. That being said, the FA would have almost definitely have had some form of informal chat with 10/Paramount. 
Flytox
Flytox
Hacker
Hacker (437 reputation)Hacker (437 reputation)Hacker (437 reputation)Hacker (437 reputation)Hacker (437 reputation)Hacker (437 reputation)Hacker (437 reputation)Hacker (437 reputation)Hacker (437 reputation)Hacker (437 reputation)Hacker (437 reputation)

RoyalDave - 4 Feb 2023 1:15 PM
someguyjc - 3 Feb 2023 3:15 PM

Surely this just refers to their Senior team though.
A League clubs are permitted a full presence of reserves/academy teams in the NPL so surely NSD teams will too?
It would be to the detriment of player development if clubs had to abandon their NPL presence.

I think it means that the successful clubs won't also play teams in the top tier of NPL.  They are required to have a full development system so the youth and underage teams will have to compete with NPL clubs teams of the same age.
Flytox
Flytox
Hacker
Hacker (437 reputation)Hacker (437 reputation)Hacker (437 reputation)Hacker (437 reputation)Hacker (437 reputation)Hacker (437 reputation)Hacker (437 reputation)Hacker (437 reputation)Hacker (437 reputation)Hacker (437 reputation)Hacker (437 reputation)

someguyjc - 4 Feb 2023 1:32 PM

It almost definitely will happen. The A-League clubs have had annual grants to the value of the salary cap paid since it's inception by the FFA and now by the APL. I'd be very surprised if the NSD won't be setup in a very similar way. 

The cap wasn't fully covered until the new broadcast deal when Gallop signed on in 2012(?) and then it was only covered because Buckley and Lowy told the clubs they would try to cover it.  Gallop wanted to use more of the uplift in the rights to reduce the FFA's annual deficit and eliminate FFA's reliance on special grants from the government all without cutting back in other areas.  

I don't think the FA will make any distributions from their general revenue.  They will only make distributions from revenue specific to the NST.
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

someguyjc - 4 Feb 2023 10:54 AM
bettega - 4 Feb 2023 10:35 AM

I'd say the opposite. I'd say they are setting it up in a way that they already know who the clubs will be. Plenty of quiet conversations would have already occurred to get to this point. I'd say they are just making their job easier by limiting the amount of applicants. If they only end up with 10-12 applications that meet every requirement it makes their decisions really easy. 

That's an optimistic reading of it.
If what you're saying is true, that they've reached this point pretty much knowing exactly who is going to make the cut, they need not have worried with the fall back position of a champions league format.
That tells met that don't actually have the same confidence that you seem to have.

someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro

bettega - 4 Feb 2023 7:49 PM
someguyjc - 4 Feb 2023 10:54 AM

That's an optimistic reading of it.
If what you're saying is true, that they've reached this point pretty much knowing exactly who is going to make the cut, they need not have worried with the fall back position of a champions league format.
That tells met that don't actually have the same confidence that you seem to have.

Maybe. However, my impression is that the NPL clubs really aren't fond of the champions league format. Could be a bit of a threat from the FA to make sure applicants take this seriously and put up or shut up. 
Realistically they are essentially looking for 8 suitable applicants, as they already have at least 2 that are a lock. If South Melbourne and Wollongong were shortlisted for Aleague expansion they are definitely final selections for NSD. Both clubs could probably just dust off their AL proposals and just cross out Aleague and scribble in NSD. It's not a big ask for 8 others to hit the target. 
AyyLeague
AyyLeague
Hacker
Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)

bettega - 4 Feb 2023 12:02 AM
AyyLeague - 3 Feb 2023 6:47 PM

Well, it's actually still there as a fall back option (mentioned in black and white).

They need the fall back option because the more I look at the criteria, the more I realise just how tough it is.

Going pro is a big enough step (personally, I just don' know why half a squad couldn't remain amateur or as low-pay youth contracts); but some of the other criteria will really push the vast majority of non A-League clubs.

Yeah I misread that :/
IMO if the format is CL then the clubs must play in their state leagues simultaneously, otherwise it will be doomed from the start.

bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)

fanoffootball - 4 Feb 2023 9:06 AM

35% of 30 is about 10, and I'm starting to wonder whether that might be optimistic.

The criteria are tough.

Put it this way:  would WU meet the criterion of having permanent access to a facility for 12 months of the year?

In fact, does even Melbourne Victory have permanent access to a facility for 12 months of the year?

I'm starting to wonder if the very tough criteria have been created with intentions contrary to getting an NSD off the ground

Seems clear as day that the criteria are there to make sure only esdtablished clubs that own or at least have sole lesase of their grounds will qualify, not a bunch of upstarts.
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

bohemia - 5 Feb 2023 6:40 PM

Seems clear as day that the criteria are there to make sure only esdtablished clubs that own or at least have sole lesase of their grounds will qualify, not a bunch of upstarts.

Fair point, but if that is the intention, then you simply say that:  only established clubs need apply - then you create far more reasonable and amicable criteria.

The way it's worded, an upstart might in fact have a better chance of meeting the criteria ahead of many established clubs (wouldn't be all that difficult to negotiate a 12 month lease over a boutique stadium ahead of bids).

At the moment, there are A-League clubs who might not be able to meet some of those criteria, so on what basis could you justify that for a 2nd tier?

aussie pride
aussie pride
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

bettega - 5 Feb 2023 8:42 PM
bohemia - 5 Feb 2023 6:40 PM

Fair point, but if that is the intention, then you simply say that:  only established clubs need apply - then you create far more reasonable and amicable criteria.

The way it's worded, an upstart might in fact have a better chance of meeting the criteria ahead of many established clubs (wouldn't be all that difficult to negotiate a 12 month lease over a boutique stadium ahead of bids).

At the moment, there are A-League clubs who might not be able to meet some of those criteria, so on what basis could you justify that for a 2nd tier?

It might be a 'lessons learnt' approach so we don't see a repeat of Western United equivalent in the second tier dragging down the competition.
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

someguyjc - 4 Feb 2023 1:32 PM

here's some intel recieved from a VPL Club devotee chasing up sponsership.
He quotes as we have read criteria is massive as expected.
Running cost for each Club 1.6-1.8M per season.
That would cover license wages for players and staff.
License fee near $800k covers flights/accom for players/staff game dyas interstate travels.

This is not from me just passing on info recieved - not sure how accurate this is.

Love Football

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

LFC. - 3 Feb 2023 5:08 PM
I'm inviting roosty to the Cro derbies Sydney and Melb - paulie roosty's +1 in the active either end so its balanced hahaha
Mono beers on me for the greek italian Sydney games your shout in afl territory thankfully @ Lakeside lakeside lakeside  :)

Touch wood we're GO '24 onwardsThunderbirds !

Mono, I have very active business colleague down there involved with ol Preston, yer I know forget about that but do you think they have the resource throwing their hat in the ring ?
Just wondering, I could ask him but whilst I'm here.

Mate its ON .... You and I are going to get royally plastered a few times next year heheheheheheheheh
As for Preston, yeah I would say they are top 2-3 most likely at the moment, despite being in NPL 2 (only just got up).. Their only let down is their ground is a little rough but I hear thyey have finding to develop so hope they can get it done in time... I hear the whole baord is a bunch of youngish blokes these last 3-4 years and they have really turned things around.. Friday nights go off in Reservoir apparently???  I havent been to BT Connor in years but would love to get there for a game next year... 
In VIC I would guesstimate that us and Knights are almost a lock in. If there are 1 or 3 more clubs from VIC you can throw a blanket over Heidelberg, Preston and maybe someone like Bentleigh or Hume???

numklpkgulftumch
numklpkgulftumch
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)

Hahaha

https://twitter.com/CameronAtfield/status/1612338493069590528?s=20&t=nmOhKqa1lBH4H2hsH_lxJw

grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Any word on which npl clubs are submitting an eoi?
ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Paying staff & players for 52 weeks.  I'd be looking at the composition of my teams very carefully if I was doing to the adminstration and finances at those current NPL clubs.     ;)

Edited
Last Year by ErogenousZone
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

numklpkgulftumch - 6 Feb 2023 12:18 PM

Hahaha

https://twitter.com/CameronAtfield/status/1612338493069590528?s=20&t=nmOhKqa1lBH4H2hsH_lxJw

Oh wow. HAHAHAAHAHAAH what a story. I love Australian soccer sometimes.... thanks for posting.
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

grazorblade - 6 Feb 2023 12:36 PM
Any word on which npl clubs are submitting an eoi?

Nothing concrete I have seen yet but plenty of SM stuff from clubs showing an interest... Still early I would expect something over the next 1-2 weeks from most of the serious ones.
robbos
robbos
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 6 Feb 2023 3:54 PM

Nothing concrete I have seen yet but plenty of SM stuff from clubs showing an interest... Still early I would expect something over the next 1-2 weeks from most of the serious ones.

While we have clashed Mono, very happy for you & very happy for football in this country.

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

robbos - 6 Feb 2023 5:06 PM

While we have clashed Mono, very happy for you & very happy for football in this country.

No problem at all Robbo. I guess we don't see things eye to eye on a lot of things but one thing we BOTH agree on is that this game of ours needs to progress and get better for the next generations... I hope this small step helps heal the bullshit rifts of the past and that many people can see past the "effnicity" angle and see these clubs as I see them.....  just clubs.... 
robbos
robbos
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 6 Feb 2023 5:29 PM
robbos - 6 Feb 2023 5:06 PM

No problem at all Robbo. I guess we don't see things eye to eye on a lot of things but one thing we BOTH agree on is that this game of ours needs to progress and get better for the next generations... I hope this small step helps heal the bullshit rifts of the past and that many people can see past the "effnicity" angle and see these clubs as I see them.....  just clubs.... 

Yes mate 100% agree, the more clubs we have & hopefully this will lead to pro/reg as well.

numklpkgulftumch
numklpkgulftumch
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)

robbos - 6 Feb 2023 6:18 PM

Monoethnic Social Club - 6 Feb 2023 5:29 PM

Yes mate 100% agree, the more clubs we have & hopefully this will lead to pro/reg as well.

Its a closed shop league with even less income

There will now be even less of a Pyramid.

Half the league with nothing to play for for most of the season.

A 'theory' might be that this has been set up to fail.

'When mature' means nothing until someone invents its criteria

As with the FA having an entry criteria  of 'whatever we decide is important',
vague untransparent and free to be abused.

APL won't be losing any sleep, just circling looking for possible customers for a license to pay off Silverlakes slice

RoyalDave
RoyalDave
Hacker
Hacker (397 reputation)Hacker (397 reputation)Hacker (397 reputation)Hacker (397 reputation)Hacker (397 reputation)Hacker (397 reputation)Hacker (397 reputation)Hacker (397 reputation)Hacker (397 reputation)Hacker (397 reputation)Hacker (397 reputation)

numklpkgulftumch - 6 Feb 2023 10:17 PM

APL won't be losing any sleep, just circling looking for possible customers for a license to pay off Silverlakes slice

I understand the negativity, and I am under no illusion P/R will come anytime soon.
However 'set up to fail' is wide of the mark - no one wins if this falls over.
There's plenty of new soccer v old soccer, nsl v a league debates on here and yes our current national football league is better (in the metrics) than the old days, but it is stagnating fast.
This forum alone is a barometer - there used to be a thread for every a league match - now we get one for each round.
Everyone knows change is needed, the question is has the wait been too long to viably find enough willing participants to throw away $2million a year in helping to save Australian football.
Even without p/r, the fact that there is a whole league full of willing clubs just below the a league should be enough to get them to pull their socks up - because a successful NSD would put the pressure on.
bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)

numklpkgulftumch - 6 Feb 2023 10:17 PM

So it's something negative then, cool
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search